• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Not so good news about flight 3407

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sorry, I just don't buy that theory - whether or not it came from 'an investigator' That's BS!

Thats what makes this country great, the fact you don't have to buy into it.

We have all speculated about what happened in this cash since it happened last Thursday night.

One thing is for sure it has served for some healthy and unhealthy discussions. But I have enjoyed reading everyone different theories on what has happen, and it has made more of us pilots aware of 'tail stalls' and a greater awareness of flying into icing conditions. Whether or not this crew is held responsible for this crash it has helped us realize that life can be short lived and we can all learn and grow from what has happened to others. Flying a Dash 8 I can tell you that this crash will leave a impression on me for a long, long time.

But one person said it the right way and simple.

------->FLY SAFE OUT THERE EVERYONE!

Remember the media was the first to come up with the Carb icing problem, notice how the NTSB has been dodging this issue during this investiagtion. You can count media keep everyone informed with the latest information other are afraid to report.

I saw the "carb icing" report when they first announced it. The guy was explaining a weather balloon plot with temp/dew point graphs and a few other graphs for rime icing probability, etc. One graph was also to show the possibility of carb icing. The guy pointed it out just to explain what all the graphs were and at no point did he mention that carb ice would have been a factor.

I actually shot the carb ice *********************************** an email. Couldn't handle it anymore...

I know it's off topic, but Nasa probably knew all along the Columbia would not make it back, but there was no way to rescue the astronauts so hush hush.

If they had known, the crew could have stayed at the space station for a very long time until either nasa or russia sent a rescue ship(s).

Nasa did know about the foam strike before re-entry, but did not conclude that it posed a serious risk. Ooops...

The one thing that can clear all of this up is for the NTSB to just release the airspeed taken from the FDR. That will answer all of the speculation. Yeah, I understand an airfoil can stall at any speed, attitude, etc. But when your in near-level flight on approach at about 1g, with ice, the airspeed will tell you almost everything as to what happened. Maybe they just got slow.

Last edited:
If they had known, the crew could have stayed at the space station for a very long time until either nasa or russia sent a rescue ship(s).

Nasa did know about the foam strike before re-entry, but did not conclude that it posed a serious risk. Ooops...

I thought they were to heavy to reach the high orbit of the space station ?

The one thing that can clear all of this up is for the NTSB to just release the airspeed taken from the FDR. That will answer all of the speculation. Yeah, I understand an airfoil can stall at any speed, attitude, etc. But when your in near level flight on approach at about 1g, with ice, airspeed will tell you almost everything as to what happened. Maybe they just got slow.

I am guessing they don't want to release it because it looks so bad for the pilots. They want to wait until everything is looked at before they say they simply stalled it, which the data seems to show. Just my guess.

I am guessing they don't want to release it because it looks so bad for the pilots. They want to wait until everything is looked at before they say they simply stalled it, which the data seems to show. Just my guess.

My thoughts exactly. No one wants to hang the pilots until all other evidence can be dismissed...which is the way it should be done.

The NTSB holds briefings with the family members releasing the information they have at that time. No press is allowed to attend. Then, the NTSB holds a press conference giving information of their choosing. The NTSB tries to give the families the respect and courtesy of notifying them before the press.

If any of you has ever been to a family NTSB briefing, then you know how painful it is to learn of these facts. I have never experienced such a large amount of grief as I did with Comair in Lexington during these briefs.

Shame on the news media and their dispicable attempts to disgrace the crew when the NTSB has not concluded anything!

Latest resources

Back