• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Not Paying Union Dues

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I implied or you read what you wanted.....

Sure ALPA has it faults... no doubt... any organization with people is going to have faults... what is your point?

Oh... if management operated above board on a consistantly avg basis unions would not exist....

Let's not forget...

One of the dark truths at the heart of free-market capitalism: the unblinking willingness of those in power to crush--physically and spiritually--those who work.

Let's not forget ....

Top 10 International ALPA Leaders & Staff (by Salary)
NameTitle Total CompensationDuane Woerth President $ 487,930Jalmer Johnson General Manager $ 393,770Bruce York Dir Representation $ 384,572Jonathan Cohen Chief Counsel&dir, Legal $ 369,949Don Skiados Director, Communications $ 311,387Kevin Barnhurst Director, Finance $ 311,158Paul Hallisay Director, Gov't Affairs $ 302,138William Roberts Asst Dir Representation $ 299,335Jim Johnson Managing Attorney, Legal $ 296,841Stephen Crable Asst Dir Representation $ 283,514[show all officers & salaries]

Source: Department of Labor, Office of Labor Management Standards LM filings
UnionFacts.com is committed to 100% accuracy. Please contact us with factual corrections & comments.

Before we "let's not forget" how about we gets educated... fair deal?

Can you explain 'expenses reported as income'?

Duane Woerth
President
Air Line Pilots

2005 Salary Breakdown

$ 10,536 Administrative (3%)
$ 0 Contributions (0%)
$ 340,650 General Overhead (97%)
$ 0 Political (0%)
$ 0 Representational (0%)
$ 351,186 Total Earnings

Historical Salary Information
Year Salary % Raise Title
2005 $ 351,186 -15.4% PRESIDENT
2004 $ 415,026 -2.0% PRESIDENT
2002 $ 423,705 -3.5% PRESIDENT
2001 $ 439,296 40.2% PRESIDENT
2000 $ 313,392 — PRESIDENT

http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=53627

Meanwhile there are forces at work trying to destroy our career... what's more important? This or your career?

Last edited:
Talk about spin! You implied that it is management that lacks morals while ALPA is as pure as the wind driven snow. That is ALPA spin! I know plenty on BOTH sides that are void of any ethics. ALPA isn't exactly the poster child for "ethics and morals". Maybe you ALPA kool aid drinkers should stick to the arguement, instead of the Herndon spin you prefer.

If your looking for morals and ethics anywhere in this world you are in for a long exhausting search. ALPA is a considerably cleaner, wholesome operation than say the Teamsters and most other Unions but that does not exempt them from some dirty underhanded sh*t.

The reason you should should favor ALPA vs. your local management team should be obvious though. ALPA wants you to make as much money as possible. Management wants you make as little money as possible.

Can you explain 'expenses reported as income'?

All reimbursed job related expenses get reported as income. Some are taxable, some are not. The bulk of ALPA's presidential expenses are for a home that needs to be maintained in Washington D.C. as a requirement for the job.

First off I posted this on the union board and recvd one legitmate resonse and a question from Rez O Lewshun that I did not understand. "You seem to have an expectation.... is it valid?"

So maybe Rez O lewshun could shed some light on the question below. My thought is why would this guy want ot pay union dues for the type results they provide? Does not seem like a good value for the dollar to me.

Original post on the union board:
First off I want to make it clear that I'm not being a smarta$$ or wanting to start a flame war. I have a question for you folks flying 121. By admission I am ignorant of the 121 world regarding your union and management issues and what you have been putting up with regarding your salaries. I do have friends flying 121 so most of what I here is from them or on this board. I have always been a Corp 91 pilot and have been able with each move increase my salary way over what my friends make flying for the regional. To be blunt the regional pay you guys are getting is absolutely embarrassing...bottom line big time a joke. My question is this: What has your union done to address and fix this problem...frankly why have union representation with these types of slag pay rates. Honestly how much worse can it get, I'd say its hit bottom pathetic for you guys...I hate it. Good folks dedicated to doing a good job at embarrassing wages. Somebody has to step up and help you guys. I'm curious what has the union done to address this problem.

I want to leave that previous post up becuase I was venting, but I'm better now. Rez, you make a very good point. I think your right, ALPA has failed to show where our membership dues go. As far as I know they go to snacks and Starbucks coffee at local meetings. I would love it if ALPA would actually tell me where my $700.00 a year goes.

Actually, yes, they do occasionally go towards buying me a sandwich when I'm spending 12 hours of my OFF DAY doing volunteer work for my fellow pilots. Do you honestly have a problem with that?

All reimbursed job related expenses get reported as income. Some are taxable, some are not. The bulk of ALPA's presidential expenses are for a home that needs to be maintained in Washington D.C. as a requirement for the job.

IOW how would you (not you Doin Time) like your company to come to you and say.. your W-2 says 50,000/year but actually you made 220,000/year.

What your company did was take all of your expenses such as the other half of your healthcare premiums and the cost of all your hotel overnights for example and claimed that as part of your income. After all, that is what you cost the company...

So how would you like it if the company said, in a nice WSJ articel, we pay our pilots "220,000/year and they want more!!"

This is what union members do to thier own.... They see an inflated "expenses reported as income" and proceed to hang the very people that are trying to help them.....

First off I posted this on the union board and recvd one legitmate resonse and a question from Rez O Lewshun that I did not understand. "You seem to have an expectation.... is it valid?"

So maybe Rez O lewshun could shed some light on the question below. My thought is why would this guy want ot pay union dues for the type results they provide? Does not seem like a good value for the dollar to me.

Original post on the union board:
First off I want to make it clear that I'm not being a smarta$$ or wanting to start a flame war. I have a question for you folks flying 121. By admission I am ignorant of the 121 world regarding your union and management issues and what you have been putting up with regarding your salaries. I do have friends flying 121 so most of what I here is from them or on this board. I have always been a Corp 91 pilot and have been able with each move increase my salary way over what my friends make flying for the regional. To be blunt the regional pay you guys are getting is absolutely embarrassing...bottom line big time a joke. My question is this: What has your union done to address and fix this problem...frankly why have union representation with these types of slag pay rates. Honestly how much worse can it get, I'd say its hit bottom pathetic for you guys...I hate it. Good folks dedicated to doing a good job at embarrassing wages. Somebody has to step up and help you guys. I'm curious what has the union done to address this problem.

First, regional wages are so low becuase there are so many pilots needed to do the job. In addition, it is a "rite of passage" so to speak, because the benefits of wide body flying in 20 years with 15+ days off will far out weigh even your job......

Right now in this current environment, the union is holding the line. Now many directly effected by low pay will argue the union isn't doing enough, but they didn't have that arguement when they signed up.....

I stated "is your expectation valid" because the problem is far greater than "what the union is doing to fix the problem." It isn't entirely the unions burden.

Rezfully yours.....

How many teamsters does it take to screw in a light bulb?

A hundred. You got a problem with that? hahahahahaha

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back