• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Not Paying Union Dues

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Rez, what exactly do you expect workers like the PATCO controllers and the TWU 100 to do? Legally, they can never strike. As bad as it is for us, at least there is a legal means for us to strike eventually. For the workers of unions like PATCO, they have no such remedy. Are they supposed to simply sit back and take it? Sorry, but I can't criticize the actions of these workers. They did what they felt they had to do.

Just like we don't like the limitations of the RLA we have to abide by them. If pilots conduct an illegal strike it will effect us for years to come.

What did it do for the PATCO guys anyway? Poli lead those guys down the wrong path. Just like any organization, the leaders can ruin it for everyone.

The TWU 100 paying fines of $300,000/month is fees and dues check off suspended till early this year.

Jail time and huge fines might be ok for gritty subway workers and thier leaders but it doesn't work for clean cut pilots. ALPA's positive reputation as a bonfide player in the national and international scene cannot afford a "bust ya knee caps" reputation.

If we want to be effective to need to demonstrate a show of legal force.

Oh, I agree that this isn't the sort of thing that ALPA should engage in, but again, we have legal recourse eventually. The TWU and PATCO workers had no such legal recourse. They are never allowed to strike. How are they to advance their profession?

Oh, I agree that this isn't the sort of thing that ALPA should engage in, but again, we have legal recourse eventually. The TWU and PATCO workers had no such legal recourse. They are never allowed to strike. How are they to advance their profession?

If a teenage girl looks like a gold medalist in the shot put how is she to become a cover model? That is one take...

The other is change the law that prohibits.... :D

The other is don't become a TSA agent or ATC controller if you want to strike.

Easier said than done. PATCO, TWU and APA have made it difficult for ALPA. A good reason to be in the AFL-CIO

I don't know very much about ALPA and am confused about how it could every really be an effective union. The members consist of pilots who fly for different companies (all in competition with each other), in different parts of the county, many working under different types of work rules, often times flying different types of aircraft. Unions seem to be most effective when everyone is working under on roof. If there is a strike, theres not a line of companies wating to take the work as there seems to be in the airlines. How can a union represent a company who is losing work, and also represent the company who is taking on that work either being awarded it through mainline, of being told to fly struck work? I realize that each airline has their own union personel but, they are still part of the same union.

It is one thing when a union represents workers at different companies in competion, but considers the union members to be one big group with common interests (the way effective unions work all around our planet.). It is another thing altogether when the union itself actively, or even passively, pits employee groups against each other. As long as the union itself allows its members to gouge each others eyes out, the union has no chance of successfully regaining leverage.

Captain Woerth ........

Can't you just refer to him as Duane, or Woerth? You keep calling him "Captain Woerth" as if he is some super hero.

Losen up the grip, you're giving his sack a hickey.

Even Lindbergh had a ground crew.

That "An Army Of One" slogan? They didn't really mean it...

Bush didn't invade Iraq by himself. He sent a whole bunch of people.

You think you can do it by yourself...go for it!

EMB 170,

You are bitter about something, but airing it in this forum is retarded and if you are who I think you are, then you already know this. Take up your grievance with the EXCO, unless you are asking a purely hypothetical question.
You live under the contract which they fought to provide, then decide that it doesn't "work for you" at this point, so you're considering not paying your dues? You deserve to be fired and the EXCO should have you fired, especially when we are supposed to show a united front going into negotiations. I hope you realize that his is not the way to do it.

LOL, I can just about guarantee him a better job if they did fire him.

Latest resources

Back