• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Not Paying Union Dues

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think the pilots are are the ones motivated to keep ALPA off property. And wisely so.
There are two types of airlines: those with union pilots and those that will be. Methinks there must be some reason for that. Try to figure it out on your own and you'll be happier.

And how many industry leading contracts since then has ALPA wrestled out of management?

Expressjet and FedEx.

What are ALPA's thoughts on the record setting givebacks?

Are you referring to ALPA (the thousands of members) or ALPA National? On the national level I'm pretty sure Capt. Prater has said concessions are pretty much through and that ALPA will fight hard to get back what they gave up. On the member level, well you can figure out what we think about 'record setting givebacks' for yourself.

You're right PCL128, I am a moron for debating an ALPA rep such as yourself. I wouldn't expect you to part ways on your opinions, ill-conceived as they may be. I never held Union reps in high regard and you haven't changed my position. By the way, you never justified Woerth's $350,000 paycheck. I bet he'll go back to flying the line with NWA since ALPA has done so much to improve pay and working conditions there.

You're right PCL128, I am a moron for debating an ALPA rep such as yourself. I wouldn't expect you to part ways on your opinions, ill-conceived as they may be. I never held Union reps in high regard and you haven't changed my position.

No one will ever be able to change your position. You're the kind of guy that blames everyone else for everything. You'll never look at yourself to see if there's a problem. Have you ever volunteered for a committee? Ever run for an elected ALPA position? How many Local Council meetings have you attended? Have you voted in every election? Do you contribute to ALPA-PAC? These are the things that make a difference. Until you do all of this, then you are the problem, not ALPA. ALPA is made up of volunteers. ALPA work gets done when the membership puts their time into the cause.

By the way, you never justified Woerth's $350,000 paycheck.

Captain Woerth has averaged 21 days off a year since taking office. The rest of the time he is picketing, attending meetings, testifying on Capital Hill, lobbying for issues that affect air line pilots, etc... He is responsible for overseeing the largest union of air line pilots in the world. He has the responsibility of looking out for the careers of 66,000 members. I think his responsibility and extra work earn him a little bit more than he would make flying the line.

I bet he'll go back to flying the line with NWA since ALPA has done so much to improve pay and working conditions there.

Captain Woerth has worked his ass off for this profession for the past 18 years. I think he's deserving of a retirement.

If your going to credit those contracts to ALPA you better also credit the aftermath to ALPA as well. ALPA's "success" at an airline is tied to the financial success of said airline, nothing more, nothing less (see FedEx, UPS, SWA ((which also happens to be SWAPA)) )

So when your Mom brings home the groceries do you blame her because the fruit is sour? Does your Mom make gruit

The reason for ALPA being born was Safety. That issue has been addressed, and continual refinements are being made. Tell me what "Crimes and Fires" are plaguing airlines today that necessitate ALPA's existence? Skywest doesn't seem to need ALPA and they're doing pretty well.

What refeinements are being made. Tell what you know. ALPA was born in part of safety. It was also born in part to pilots not having PIC authority and earning a livable wage.

Well Martha Stewart, I know you're going to tell me it's NOT going to salaries. It's probably going to the ALPA stickers and Mousepads which are being handed out at groundschools. I'd like you to justify why Woerth receives over half a million dollars in annual compensation? Where does that salary money come from again?

I told you to get educated first... it is still your choice..

What refinements are being made. Tell what you know. ALPA was born in part of safety.

To touch the tip of the iceberg, cockpit automation and navigation equipment.

It was also born in part to pilots not having PIC authority and earning a livable wage.
Does ALPA contend that first year pay at ANY regional is "liveable" ?

There are two types of airlines: those with union pilots and those that will be. Methinks there must be some reason for that. Try to figure it out on your own and you'll be happier.

Nah don't think it will happen anytime soon at SkyWest. If it does though I think that those who didn't vote for it won't have to pay dues. I have figured out that we are happier without one.

[/color]

To touch the tip of the iceberg, cockpit automation and navigation equipment.

Yeah they had a part in that... but that is also of big intrest to the manufactures.... Why not try something that is primarily a ALPA issues like fatigue or LAHSO...

Does ALPA contend that first year pay at ANY regional is "liveable" ?

I guess.. I mean all the pilots at all the regionals voted yes on the contracts they are currently working under. Only then was the contract sent to ALPA national. The MEC said..this is what our pilots want..please review and sign.

So when you go to work as the pilots you are flying with "Do you contend that first year pay at THIS regional is "liveable" ?

Whatever guys. I don't need ALPA to think for me or tell me how to vote. As Newman knows, life is pretty good without ALPA. Should Skywest ever unionize, they'd be wise to have an in house union and not ALPA.

I want to leave you all with one final note: Hitler had a strong following of impressionable children, it looks like ALPA took the same approach with "less gifted" pilots. I think I hear Duane Worthless laughing his way to the bank...

Here's to not paying ALPA dues and Lovin' It !!!:beer:

Wake up!!!

No one will ever be able to change your position. You're the kind of guy that blames everyone else for everything. You'll never look at yourself to see if there's a problem. Have you ever volunteered for a committee? Ever run for an elected ALPA position? How many Local Council meetings have you attended? Have you voted in every election? Do you contribute to ALPA-PAC? These are the things that make a difference. Until you do all of this, then you are the problem, not ALPA. ALPA is made up of volunteers. ALPA work gets done when the membership puts their time into the cause.

Captain Woerth has averaged 21 days off a year since taking office. The rest of the time he is picketing, attending meetings, testifying on Capital Hill, lobbying for issues that affect air line pilots, etc... He is responsible for overseeing the largest union of air line pilots in the world. He has the responsibility of looking out for the careers of 66,000 members. I think his responsibility and extra work earn him a little bit more than he would make flying the line.

Captain Woerth has worked his ass off for this profession for the past 18 years. I think he's deserving of a retirement.

First of all, get your facts straight. 21 days off a year!!! Are you that stupid?? Second, I volunteered and it was a joke. Guys are in the union so they do not have to actually work the contract they fight for. In 18 years what has DW actually done. I have some old time USAIR pilots that would like to talk to him. I have some United and Northwest friends also that think ALPO is sh!t. He has the responsibility of looking out for 66,000 pilot jobs.

That number use to be 100,000!!! He has done a wonderful job!!

ALPO is made of volunteers!?! Are you sure??? They get something for their work, noone in this business does it for free. Why should he get more than a line pilot??? Because he negotiates crap contracts?!? He should get paid what he fights for. If he thinks a RJ Captain is worth 50,000 a year, then that is what he should earn. PM me idiot, and I could school you on ALPO and the Airline industry. Pilots were around along time before ALPO!!!!

Latest resources

Back