• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Not good for the Southwest Poolies....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
On a completely unrelated positive note: I have read that most airlines (SWA included) haven't seen a softening in 1st Quarter bookings. Maybe the sky isn't falling as much as first thought. From what I heard, SWA can turn on the hiring/training pretty quick. We'll see. I'm probably being naive.

maybe with all that cash laying around, they'll buy more tail's and spool things back up...but more likely, i'm just being naive too...

I am in the pool and I was hoping to have a class this year. If they have 2 classes with the retired "new hires", then my chances of seeing a class date in 2008 are very slim. So if anyone has a right to be upset, it's me. But I'm not. I don't know the people coming back. But I'm sure many of them have helped make this company the way it is today. If these people want to come back, let them, they deserve to. I am disappointed that I have to wait longer. But the support SW is giving it's former employee's is one of the many reasons I want to work there and one of the qualities that make them the company they are. I wish I didn't have to wait longer, but the retired pilots deserve this and I'm looking forward to working for a company that takes care of "their own".

I hope you get on soon dude...you sound like a good guy. We need more around here. Anyhow, I'm not so sure that EVERY SINGLE ONE will get picked up out of the interview...word around the water cooler is that some will not be welcomed back. Be interesting to see, nevertheless. Ironic, huh?

Oh, BTW...I suspect the policy of re-interviewing some of these guys came from Herb/Colleen, as some of the dudes literally helped build this company, and there is a HUGE loyalty to some of these fellas from the VERY TOP. It's just a shame that this law was passed right on the verge of a possible recession...that's the travesty.

Last edited:
How many poolies are left?
On that line, when do you think SWA will start interviewing again?

FCN

Let's take a swag.....350 poolies-33(Jan/Feb classes) + ~40 Retirees = ~360 give or take....

Using 120 folks/yr.... I'm betting the anchorman in the pool isn't gonna see a class until 2012. And we haven't even begun to figure out the ramifications if SWA buys/acquires Alsaka/AT/etc.

The combination of Age60/$100 oil/Economy/Retirees and a probable merger is a big sh!t sandwich. Your portion is proportional to your depth in the pool. Enjoy.

RM

That's assuming 350 poolies stick around. I already know 4 that have moved on and aren't coming back. That's out of the 6 guys I know in the pool. I bet by the time they get to the last guy they only get about 200 of the original 350 in the pool.

Let's take a swag.....350 poolies-33(Jan/Feb classes) + ~40 Retirees = ~360 give or take....

Using 120 folks/yr.... I'm betting the anchorman in the pool isn't gonna see a class until 2012. And we haven't even begun to figure out the ramifications if SWA buys/acquires Alsaka/AT/etc.

The combination of Age60/$100 oil/Economy/Retirees and a probable merger is a big sh!t sandwich. Your portion is proportional to your depth in the pool. Enjoy.

RM

I'll take another sWAG. We get all the planes we're supposed to next year plus more than the 7 this year = 300-400 new hires in the next year to 18mos. Pool empty by end of ought-nine. Optimistic I know, but none of us know what will happen. Good, bad, or indifferent.

That's assuming 350 poolies stick around. I already know 4 that have moved on and aren't coming back. That's out of the 6 guys I know in the pool. I bet by the time they get to the last guy they only get about 200 of the original 350 in the pool.
That is correct. I'm in the Feb class and we went through 20 names on the poolie list to get 13 in the class. I'm guessing that rate of 30% attrition rises over the coming months.

Latest resources

Back