• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Not good for the Southwest Poolies....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
5 years for now. God knows the good people at APAAD and SWAPA aren't going to be satisfied with age 65 any more than they were with 60.

Guys trying to spin this type of stuff in a positive light are simply whistling past the graveyard.

FJ

Exactly Falcon- we've seen this generation sell out the less than 40 crowd for an entire career. If it meant holding on to their job- sure... furlough. If it means getting a bit more pay- sure - let scope go- we have furloughees that will fly that stuff- we can delay a regional pilots career- have 25 year olds captain the modern dc-9's while our furloughees pull gear for them. Now after all that- you just want us to finance another 5 years for you. C'mon- we're great guys! Maybe if you had been stand up guys for your career we could support you.

Seriously- how would you like to be on probation at ALASKA- get outed by southwest accidentally and then find they've made a decision that will delay your class even more. That friend of mine was really hoping to get a class before his year checkride- with a pool date of june15- that extra class or two of old guys might be the difference.

(I'll grant you that most poolies aren't in this situation and could care less who knows- but it's a valid point, IMO)

I agree it isn't good news but you guys have to keep it in perspective. Like one of the other posters, I spent 2 years and 2 months in the pool; so, I feel your pain.

The email release was a mistake, no doubt about it.

The retired guys coming back as FOs to the front of the line is the right thing to do whether it seems like it from the pool or not. If they had to go to the end of the line, they'd be another 2 years into their retirement, and these are guys who have been good employees for 5 or 30 years.

Remember what the People department always says, you can "continue the process." Not that you are hired. It isn't a hiring pool but a pool of pre-qualified applicants.

Now, we all know in reality you are as good as hired unless you lose your license or get a DUI or something. Unlike some other companies (UPS with their interview performance based score pool comes to mind) could care less when you interviewed or how long you've been swimming.

I wouldn't like it either but there are many things on this earth that we don't have to like but do have to endure (my delayed upgrade would be one of those things, more attributable to the growth slowdown than age 65 but put them together and it gets exciting, much like your wait for a class)

I'm sorry that your eventual start date with SWA has been delayed, but putting returning 60+ guys behind new hires wouldn't be right, imo. I'm amazed any want to come back and they may quit soon after the reserve commute to OAK or LAS kicks in (with crappy crash pad situations in both places).

I am in the pool and I was hoping to have a class this year. If they have 2 classes with the retired "new hires", then my chances of seeing a class date in 2008 are very slim. So if anyone has a right to be upset, it's me. But I'm not. I don't know the people coming back. But I'm sure many of them have helped make this company the way it is today. If these people want to come back, let them, they deserve to. I am disappointed that I have to wait longer. But the support SW is giving it's former employee's is one of the many reasons I want to work there and one of the qualities that make them the company they are. I wish I didn't have to wait longer, but the retired pilots deserve this and I'm looking forward to working for a company that takes care of "their own".

I am in the pool and I was hoping to have a class this year. If they have 2 classes with the retired "new hires", then my chances of seeing a class date in 2008 are very slim. So if anyone has a right to be upset, it's me. But I'm not. I don't know the people coming back. But I'm sure many of them have helped make this company the way it is today. If these people want to come back, let them, they deserve to. I am disappointed that I have to wait longer. But the support SW is giving it's former employee's is one of the many reasons I want to work there and one of the qualities that make them the company they are. I wish I didn't have to wait longer, but the retired pilots deserve this and I'm looking forward to working for a company that takes care of "their own".

You get it. Nicely stated.

What has made this airline such an outstanding Employee-friendly airline is working against the Poolies now, but yall will rewarded in many different ways for the wait.

Koolaid-induced hallucinations are back. Snoz, maybe you need an intervention.

but I guess there's always a poolie ready to give a ballwash...

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back