Not Approachable

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

asolo

Question on an approach: In looking at the ILS 5 for Hot Springs, AR (HOT), there are 2 IAF's . One is an intersection not defined by radials (MARKI). And the other is an NDB (HOSSY) serving as the LOM. If you don't have a GPS or an ADF, there are no IAF's that are identifiable except by radar. The plate doesn't state that you have to have radar, NDB, or GPS for the approach. So how would you execute the approach with none of these things. The plate only states that you need to have an ILS reciever, however, you CAN'T identify any fix with just an ILS reciever. Am I missing something?

THANKS!

asolo said:
Question on an approach: In looking at the ILS 5 for Hot Springs, AR (HOT), there are 2 IAF's . One is an intersection not defined by radials (MARKI). And the other is an NDB (HOSSY) serving as the LOM. If you don't have a GPS or an ADF, there are no IAF's that are identifiable except by radar. The plate doesn't state that you have to have radar, NDB, or GPS for the approach. So how would you execute the approach with none of these things. The plate only states that you need to have an ILS reciever, however, you CAN'T identify any fix with just an ILS reciever. Am I missing something?

THANKS!

..DME..

It doesn't say DME is required. The question is if you only have an ILS reciever and NOTHING ELSE.

If you don't have an ADF or GPS you must fly the full procedure via direct hot springs VOR and then out bound on the ILS for the procedure turn you can identify the IAF at HOSSY by the marker tone. I think, thats what I would do.

Last edited:
Thats the only thing I can come up with but dark line is the localizer course and not off the VOR, so I would think technically you couldn't do that. And if that were the case, why wouldn't they label the VOR as an IAF?

MARKI is an en-route fix on V573 21DME from HOT on the 221 radial. It's also identifiable by the HOT R-221 and PGO R-110.

Hope that helps.

L22 for the jepp users....not sure bout the NOS ones.

-mini

Thanks Minitour. I knew I was missing something. Appreciate it

Blue Skies

I thought this thread was about Jessica Alba....

Latest resources

Back