Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Not again! Heavy Jet takes off on ANC taxiway.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Chronic Jetlag said:
Checking your compass and DG in this case would not have made a difference. They allegedly took off on taxiway Y which parallels runway 32 with the same magnetic alignment.
Right. That's why I included the parentetical reference to the China Airlines. That plane *did* take off on a taxiway which had a direction substantially different that the runway for which tey were cleared. Perhaps you missed that.

Chronic Jetlag said:
Taxiway Y has recently been widened and it also extends into runway 6L.
Uhh well actully, it wasn't recently widened, it was recently built. 3 years ago, it didn't exist, except as a 1000 ft segment between Lima and 6L. That would be one way to keep pilots from taking off on taxiways, make thne all 1000 ft or less.

Chronic Jetlag said:
The crews faced multiple last minute runway changes, which meant they had to recalculate TO performance while taxiing. The incident is still under investigation; we DON'T know all the facts, ground trace radar is under review. Let's not jump into any conclusions and convict our fellow pilots. It could have happened to any one of us.
I'm not trying io hang the crew at all. WHat I'm saying is that those who think gee-whiz techonological gadgets are the soulution to all the worlds ills may not have discovered the Holy Grail they think thay have. My comments about the crews actions, or omissions were not to accuse the crew, but to show that they (likely) didn't use the tools they had, so giving them more (and higher tech) tools is not the answer.

Say Again Over said:
I think you need to check into the accident you spoke about,

Uhh, no, I don't think I do. I have checked into it, in great depth and nauseating detail.

Say Again Over said:
they have proof now there was a communication SNAFU
Yes, there *was* a communications SNAFU, the tower controller, read KLM some departure instructions and Van Zant interpreted them as a takeoff clearence, which it was not. That's the SNAFU, Van Zant *thought* he had been cleared to takeoff, when in fact he had not, even though his FE was questioning whether it was actually a takeoff clearence (it was not).

Say Again Over said:
along with the fact that ATC allowed two aircraft on an active runway
Uhhh, happens every day. Have you ever been cleared to taxi into position and hold, then have ATC taxi a plane across the runway downfield? I have, it's a common occurence. Pan Am had been cleared to back taxi on the runway, because the taxiways were all blocked by other planes. There was no way to get to the takeoff position without taxiing on the runway for part of the way. KLM had been cleared into position to hold.

May I ask what experience you may have in LVP ops? It is not a normal procedure to have two aircraft on the same runway at the same time, maybe years ago but not now, and for a very good reason.:rolleyes:

Say Again Over said:
I think you need to check into the accident you spoke about,

Like I said, in my previous post, I have checked the accident pretty thouroughly, but it appears that you are a little confused on what transpired in Tenerife.

Here's some of the CVR recording and transmissions, the bold, italicized comments are mine. :

APP=Tenerife Tower.

RDO = Pan-Am radio transmission.

[SIZE=-1]1705:53.4 APP KLM eight seven * zero five uh you are cleared to the Papa Beacon climb to and maintain flight level nine zero right turn after take-off proceed with heading zero four zero until intercepting the three two five radial from Las Palmas VOR. (1706:08.2)

1706:09.6 KLM Ah roger, sir, we're cleared to the Papa Beacon flight level nine zero, right turn out zero four zero until intercepting the three two five and we're now (at take-off). (1706:17.9)

ca. 1706:13 KLM-1 We gaan. (We're going)

1706:18.19 APP OK.

1706:19.3 RDO No .. eh.

1706:20.08 APP Stand by for take-off, I will call you. (at this point the KLM 747 was already rolling)

1706:20.3 RDO And we're still taxiing down the runway, the clipper one seven three six. (Pan-Am is still on the runway)

1706:19.39 - 1706:23.19 RDO and APP communications caused a shrill noise in KLM cockpit - messages not heard by KLM crew.

1706:25.6 APP Roger alpha one seven three six report when runway clear. (obviously the tower understands [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]clearly[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] that the Pan-Am 747 is still on the runway)

1706:29.6 RDO OK, we'll report when we're clear.
APP Thank you

Now, exactly what part of the accident did you think I needed to study up on?

[/SIZE]

Say Again Over said:
May I ask what experience you may have in LVP ops? It is not a normal procedure to have two aircraft on the same runway at the same time, maybe years ago but not now, and for a very good reason.:rolleyes:

I suspect that today's LVP's were not in effect then, likely they were a direct result of that accident.

square

Please pull your head out of the sand, unless you were in one of the aircraft, you don't know what was heard in one cockpit or the other, your transcript is derived from the ATC tapes. If two transmissions are made at the same time, you have no idea what the other guy is hearing unless you are on the flight deck. I am not so likely to believe all the BS the accident investigators would like you to believe.

Say Again Over said:
Please pull your head out of the sand, unless you were in one of the aircraft, you don't know what was heard in one cockpit or the other, your transcript is derived from the ATC tapes. If two transmissions are made at the same time, you have no idea what the other guy is hearing unless you are on the flight deck. I am not so likely to believe all the BS the accident investigators would like you to believe.
OH, wow, you're really out there! Pull my head out of the sand? Now there's an intelligent agrument?

OK, here's an idea: instead of posting vauge irrelevancies like "check into the accident" "Pull your head out" why don't you state specifically, which statements of mine you think are incorrect, and why you think they are incorrect?

Now, about the transcript: Even if it *were* a transcript of only ATC's tape (it's not, it's the composite of ATC tape, Pan-Am's CVR and KLM's CVR) it shows very clearly that hte tower controller knew that Pan-Am was on hte runway, and it shows clearly that a the controller did not issue a takeoff clearence. Those are the points I was making. If you disagree, I'd be happy to discuss it, but please present your reasons for disagreeing in some sort of a mature, cohesive, manner, instead of ranting about "pulling your head out"

Deal?

Say Again Over said:
I think we will find that the visibility may have played a big part, (in the takeoff incident at ANC)
Nope, here's METARS from that day

PANC 051053Z 01015G22KT 10SM CLR M09/M20 A2979
PANC 051453Z 01016G24KT 10SM CLR M09/M19 A2982
PANC 051653Z 01016KT 10SM FEW200 M09/M21 A2985
PANC 051853Z 01013G17KT 10SM FEW200 M09/M20 A2987
PANC 052053Z 36013KT 10SM FEW200 M08/M20 A2989
PANC 052253Z 01011KT 10SM FEW200 M07/M21 A2990
PANC 060153Z 01012KT 10SM FEW200 M07/M20 A2993
PANC 060353Z 36008KT 10SM CLR M08/M18 A2996
PANC 060553Z 36008KT 10SM CLR M09/M18 A2996
PANC 060753Z 01007KT 10SM CLR M10/M18 A2998
PANC 060953Z 18004KT 10SM FEW200 M13/M19 A2996

Looks like visibility wasn't much of a problem.

Latest resources

Back