Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

charter dog

Rabid member
I've been away quite a while, but now I'm back. As one of those who lost more than just a job in the JetDirect debacle, I pretty much just stayed away from aviation the last couple of years rather than flogging a nearly dead horse. The last few weeks I've been working hard every day with apps and resumes, phone calls and websites, trying to sow the seeds of starting at a new flying job before the year is out. No offers yet, but I'm neither surprised nor deterred by that. It's not gonna be easy, this I know.

I'm posting this in the corporate section rather than somewhere else simply because that's where I'm concentrating my job search efforts. Yeah, I've got a few feelers out to charter outfits too, but I don't really expect much there. Too many guys I know are just trying to get by as day rate guys who hope their next recurrent gets paid for because they're not making enough themselves. Lately I've seen more opportunity in pure corporate outfits. Many of them seem to be in an austerity mode, but still look more attractive than charter. I spent most of the 2000s busting my hump in a mixture of charter and part 91 ops, working for management companies. About half of those I was aware of no longer exist. SoCal bizav was all but wiped out it seems.

I'd like to know if any of you have any helpful advise you'd care to share? (And no, I'm not going to give it up just yet!)

I'm still in SoCal right now, but things have changed such that I'm now willing to go almost anywhere for a good opportunity to get back in the air. Yet I'm not a kid anymore and don't really care to live in a van down by the river just to be flying. Yes my expectations might be lower than they used to be, but I'm still a pro and won't fly for food and tent space.

Ant suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

charter dog

Not sure exactly what you are asking?....but I'd have a real honest, hopefully convincing answer as to why you took a few years off from aviation and why you now want back.

You also may want to expand a bit on the "few bizjet types" if you are here looking for work or what the market is like? - I can tell you that right now in the Northeast, qualified people on many planes are rather hard to find.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the response Gee, and actually info regarding regional demand is quite helpful.

I'll change my profile info to reflect my types as you suggest. It's only been two years and 3 months now, but that's still allot I know. The simple fact is that after the collapse, I couldn't find ANYTHING locally. Not even a CFI job! Now that I'm able to look all over the country, I hope to fill some slot in a high demand area. Just so you know, I've given the employment gap some thought and I'm quite comfortable discussing it at an interview. I'd estimate that about 15 of the 60 pilots we had at our west coast base are flying today.

EDITED TO ADD: Profile updated. I only did that to mask my true identity from certain pilots at my old company! No longer an issue...

Thanks.

Last edited:
Network.....network.......network. It will likely be the most important criteria for finding yourself a quality corporate gig. G hit the nail on taking a long, hard look at why you left aviation before hopping back in. Many of the reasons you probably had for leaving are still prevelant today. Crappy schedules, conflicting personalities and s*it pay haven't changed. Whatever you decide to do, good luck with your search!

Btw, Bombardier is looking for Demo guys in ICT. Might want to drop them a line. Even though it is Wichita:D

Network.....network.......network. It will likely be the most important criteria for finding yourself a quality corporate gig. G hit the nail on taking a long, hard look at why you left aviation before hopping back in. Many of the reasons you probably had for leaving are still prevelant today. Crappy schedules, conflicting personalities and s*it pay haven't changed. Whatever you decide to do, good luck with your search!

Btw, Bombardier is looking for Demo guys in ICT. Might want to drop them a line. Even though it is Wichita:D

Hey CorpCaptain thanks for the response.
Yeah... Network! I agree so I'm putting up a significant effort toward re-establishing connections with former co-workers and other colleagues.

As for why I left aviation it's pretty simple. It left me. Or more to the point, my employer JetDirect dissolved and there was no other operation in SoCal I could find taking on pilots. By the end of the year 2009, I was out of currency and out of the running for the very few slots that did appear from time to time. However it may appear, meeting basic survival needs became my focus and aviation didn't appear to have anything to offer toward meeting those needs. I've missed the flying and the sense of mission in a big way.

Until fairly recently. I was not in a position to relocate, but I am both willing and able to do so now. As for the pay and working conditions, no I don't expect they've improved since '09! That's just how this business works. But it's gonna get a little better than it's been the last couple of years. Living hand to mouth and NOT flying is even worse. I want back in the game.

It's the issue of currency that I'm most concerned with. I'm not worried so much about remembering how to fly as how concerned prospective employers might be about it. I've gone up in a couple of singles with friends and had a couple sim sessions in a Redbird, performing better than I thought I would. I've also reviewed my flight manuals and done some informal AIM and regs review. I'll be a little rusty for sure, but feel like I wouldn't have any serious trouble with sim training or actual flying. But I need to develop a strategy to help any potential employers believe it!

And thanks for the tip on Bombardier CC. There's nothing on their website yet, but I'll look for another way to make contact.

Anyway, thanks for your attention guys.

Latest resources

Back