• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Lindy

If you have the current NOS chart:

ILS 36L @ CVG

in the "profile" section of the plate, an altitude is labeled with a "#" symbol.

The legend does not define the "#" symbol (for the profile).

There is a section that states the "#" symbol pertains to towers that are not of continuous operation (CVG is 24/7).

Any ideas? The guys I fly with are convinced that it is a typo.

Thanks!!

I didn't know you two knew each other!

How is it working for Johnny and Randy? Tell Todd I said "hello". I hope he likes the office as much as he liked the cockpit.

i've used both and found they each have their positives and negatives. i like the new format for the nos plates a lot.

regarding the "#" symbol...i see it states "#1340" on the chart you are referring to...further to the right of the "profile" view it says "#LOC ONLY". my understanding then is the altitude of 1340 only applies when you are flying the LOCALIZER apch.

of course if one can id "tabbo" you may go down even lower...

my chart for CMI says turn left and track outbound on the 062 radial...perhaps you have an outdated chart?

Last edited:
Ahh....reading the note section

Thanks for the info -- the plate is at work.

Didn't Localizer Only altitudes be indicated by asteriks? It is what I remember. I guess I'll be looking to see if it is both asteriks and # symbols.

Bye

yes, i'm used to seeing them listed with the asterisk as well, however (and this is just a guess on my part) on that particular chart the asterisk is already used for another altitude so perhaps the "#" symbol is the alternate symbol the chart designers use...

Fly...i stand corrected, i was looking at the loc bc 14r apch since that is what you mentioned, but now that i've looked at the vor apch i see what you are talking about, it is definitely wrong.

i am looking at nos apch plates that i access off of the aopa web site. i believe they are also available somewhere else on the web, but the address alludes me right now.

So...

I looked at the CVG plate last night (what else do you do when you are #22 for de-ice and it is taking approximately :15 minutes per aircraft).

I see the information regarding the LOC only (due to the fact that you can identify the intersection w/ DME). However, if you look at 5R IND (or was it 5L or 23R or 23L), the LOC only statement is there, however, they have a cross. The point of the # symbol does NOT make any sense w/ previous charts.

Can you tell that change is difficult.......for those challenged to fly at night, all night, in all weather.

For you NOS users and anyone else who likes to look at charts at home, check this out:

NOS Charts Online

They are current too!

Enjoy,
JetPilot500

The use of the # symbol helps differentiate the note attached to it, from the note attached to the * symbol on the chart.

If you view the KCVG ILS36L chart, you'll note that an asterisk is used to annotate the 4,000' altitude at UMPTA. The * corresponds to the annotation "2400 when authorized by ATC".

At TABBO, the nonprecision localizer-only MDA is 1340'. It is provided with the symbol #, which refers to the annotation, "# LOC Only".

The two annotations cannot use the same symbol, therefore, different symbols #, and * are used. In this way the anotation cannot be confused.

This is the purpose for the use of the #symbol: it is to show you which information the note is referring to. Nothing more.

avbug said:
The use of the # symbol helps differentiate the note attached to it, from the note attached to the * symbol on the chart.

If you view the KCVG ILS36L chart, you'll note that an asterisk is used to annotate the 4,000' altitude at UMPTA. The * corresponds to the annotation "2400 when authorized by ATC".

At TABBO, the nonprecision localizer-only MDA is 1340'. It is provided with the symbol #, which refers to the annotation, "# LOC Only".

The two annotations cannot use the same symbol, therefore, different symbols #, and * are used. In this way the anotation cannot be confused.

This is the purpose for the use of the #symbol: it is to show you which information the note is referring to. Nothing more.

isn't that what i said?

Latest resources

Back