Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Goulet!

GOULET! said:
Too bad Midwest and Skyway kicked Northwest's a** when they added all of those flights to compete directly with them. The only flights they do now out of MKE is to the hubs and LAX/LAS. I wouldn't be suprised to see the LAS and LAX flights to go away soon either. I realize the whole bankrupcy thing played a big role in it but Midwest still handed it to them. MKE is very loyal to Midwest.

I don't have anything to add, except to say that is a wicked cool user name and avatar.

Midwest was at the Mall of America in MSP handing out cookies a few weeks ago. They also take out big ads in the Star Tribune. I haven't seen a DoJet in MSP for a long time now. It's all MDs.

No MD's in MSP. There are 5 flights a day by Midwest all by 717s and they fly into the Humphery terminal. Don't know why they didn't fly to MSP 10 years ago. Loads are pretty good up there too.

Its a 319 (Mainline) NW173 at 3.05pm daily.. been around a while now...

Midnight Brit
coming to you on ACARS4 night a week.

GOULET! said:
Too bad Midwest and Skyway kicked Northwest's a** when they added all of those flights to compete directly with them. The only flights they do now out of MKE is to the hubs and LAX/LAS. I wouldn't be suprised to see the LAS and LAX flights to go away soon either. I realize the whole bankrupcy thing played a big role in it but Midwest still handed it to them. MKE is very loyal to Midwest.

MKE also has a HUGE elite base. They may only have hub service, but its hub service (DTW/MSP anyway) is mostly done with the Airbus and 757 aircraft. That's a TON of capacity to put on such short routes. They also have an extremely heavy elite base there. So the nonstops may not have worked well, but that is a far stretch from saying that MKE is VERY loyal to Midwest.

blackbox said:
I am fairly new to the industry (less than 3 years) but its been my perception that NW is very territorial. More so than any other airline. thats why they still own 80% of their market in each of their hubs (msp, dtw, and mem). They moved into MKE because of MidEx and Indianapolis when ATA started showing blood. The also operated a LAN-DCA to compete with FlyI. So my guess is they dont wnat allegiant coming in and taking any of their marketshare.
That didn't seem to work too well for them. This "I need to compete with everyone" mentality got them in this Chap. 11 pickle in the first place. They seem big and dumb, like Mike Tice.

GOULET! said:
Pinnacle has a few east coast flights, and the occasional flight that ends in crossing a few taxiways and grass patches on landing--really scenic, and a great view of gate D52 when you finally come to a stop.

pilotmyf said:
That didn't seem to work too well for them. This "I need to compete with everyone" mentality got them in this Chap. 11 pickle in the first place. They seem big and dumb, like Mike Tice.

I think its smart. Andi cant agree with you saying thats the reason why NW is in Chap. 11. They dont compete with everyone, just everyone entering their market. They dont compete with Airtran in the ATL or Frontier in DEN. DO you think it was dumb for Delta to run Jetblue out of atlanta?

Daunte maybe, but I dont think Mike Tice is dumb. THey have won 5 games in a row and have a shot at the playoffs.

pilotmyf said:
Pinnacle has a few east coast flights,

Yeah, and they're outta here in Jan.

NW against Allegiant? Good luck. I hear most of those seats are sold through package deals with hotels. If they are competing against seats already and always sold, they will fail. You would think they would focus more on bettering the business than lowering wages and competing on untested new routes. They bailed on MKE because the market didn't support that many seats as well as we didn't go out of business. I guess I'd try to get out of ch.11 first before I start going to headhunt.

BTW- Has NW pulled down any of the flying they started in IND?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back