• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Northwest mechanics walk

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Working Stiff has it right these Scabs are all former UAL, NWA, and laid off Boeing mechanics, They are truley the cream of the crap! Safety should not be an issue, but there morales sure do stink!
Woody

Workin'Stiff said:
Yeah, it really too bad that most of the scabs are furloughed UAL, NWA, and others... Freshly minted A&P's???? Nope, not even close... New to "heavies" and other various airliners.... Again, that's a big 'ole nope.

Safety is NOT an issue... Biggest question is if they have the man power to sustain this over any amount of time.
I would never cross a pilot picket line, but since I have spent a considerable amount of time around "trades" people, I most certainly wouldn't want to cross that picket line.

Those guys can be quite crafty.

Anyone know how many scabs NWA was able to get, vs. how many mechanics walked out?

Even if they're experienced on transport-category equipment, there are bound to be problems getting them used to NWA's computer system and recordkeeping. There are numerous things that will slow the newbies down. There's no way NWA can maintain the current schedule with scab mechanics unless there's twice as many of them.

FN FAL said:
I would never cross a pilot picket line, but since I have spent a considerable amount of time around "trades" people, I most certainly wouldn't want to cross that picket line.

Those guys can be quite crafty.

I was asked by my employer to cross a picket line, only once. Local power company workers were striking, they had pretty much shut down the plant. I was asked to cross their line and repair some piece of computer diagnostics equipment so that the scabs replacing the strikers could get some plant system working again. I refused - The strikers in question had already attacked some truckers who crossed the line to deliver supplies. They told me I would get a disciplinary write-up for refusing to take the call. I told them to have fun with the paperwork, I wasn't going. They sent one of my co-workers instead. Not only did he fail to get the system repaired (it was too badly broken and needed replaced) he got a rock thrown through his windshield and "lost" some of his tools. (Stolen from inside the plant! Hrm...)

The write-up I was threatened with never happened. It is now company policy that we will not cross anyone's picket line for any reason.

Latest resources

Back