• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Northwest Bidding for Midwest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Word will not be out until Monday on the outcome, according to the training center folks. Conference call w/ JL 3 days ago and he was (I believe he said) 90% sure it's a done deal. SWA did pop into the conversation as a possible bidder, so who knows, could be another ATA debacle. Also from JL, if it goes through, 22 aircraft in MKE (ours) right away. MKE as a pilot base, possibly MCI, no word of any others.
Let's reread what you wrote above please! My comment was regarding the popular "It is a Done Deal" so often used in this industry...not personally attacking you...so chill!

Let's reread what you wrote above please! My comment was regarding the popular "It is a Done Deal" so often used in this industry...not personally attacking you...so chill!

Only reason I took it that way is that you addressed me, first thing you wrote. I was just passing what I heard. RTFQ just easily turned into RTFP, no worries, all in the same game!

I would hazard a *guess* that the 20+ aircraft to go to MKE immediately would likely be existing 717/737 which are ATL-based.

It would ease the gate congestion in ATL and likely give us a nice flow-through city for the flying.

As far as displaced MD-80 crews, I would *guess* the F/O's would go to whatever aircraft they wanted (717 or 737) as both would be available. The CA's are the big question mark. Would they go automatically to the 717 wherever their seniority would hold and just allow for a surplus of MKE 717 CA's or would they be allowed to mix into the system?

Seniority integration will take too long to work out to solve that issue by the time displacements take place,,, Tricky, IF we get it done and IF they move as fast as they claim.

New rumor around training house is buying aligent and using their MD and the Midwest MD for charters.

I hadn't heard about Allegiant, but I did hear a rumor that Joe might be interested in keeping the -80s for charter work.

Don't count out the Cudahy interests...

The Cudahys are as old and big money in southeast Wisconsin as it gets. They could write a check, unlike Air Tran which is reducing their capital outlay in real dollars using the cash and stock avenue.

Then again, a family isn't able to sock away that kind of cash over a 100 years by being stupid with the dough.

Do not discount the emotional importance of Midwest to the region and the state as a whole. We are a bit jealous of the companies we like - that's why the state has never repealed the "poison pill" law for companies incorporated here to use as a defense against hostile takeovers (and that card might yet be played in an effort to goose the price a bit more).

We shall see.

2 of our 80's are dedicated charter birds. Nicely decked out.

if this happens it is gonna get nasty if immediately 20 airplanes come up here and the md80 guys are displaced. those 50+ crews are used to daily schedules and being home every night.

moving a/c without a unified list is a bad thing, imho. it causes nothing but distrust and hostility. USAirways did this with the 757's on the AWA side, but hey they get along great right? ;)

The Cudahys are as old and big money in southeast Wisconsin as it gets. They could write a check, unlike Air Tran which is reducing their capital outlay in real dollars using the cash and stock avenue.

Then again, a family isn't able to sock away that kind of cash over a 100 years by being stupid with the dough.

Do not discount the emotional importance of Midwest to the region and the state as a whole. We are a bit jealous of the companies we like - that's why the state has never repealed the "poison pill" law for companies incorporated here to use as a defense against hostile takeovers (and that card might yet be played in an effort to goose the price a bit more).

We shall see.
Heard a crazy rumor that the Cudahy's (and other parties combined) offered $200m MORE than AirTran... sounds like too much BS to be even remotely true though....

Do not discount the emotional importance of Midwest to the region and the state as a whole.

Heyas,

MSN has a point here. I'm from the not-the-south south (IE Florida), but I've spent lots of time in the midwest.

Midwesterners have a quirky penchant for their region, states, towns and institutions. They will go to great lengths to defend what they consider to be "local folk" and they hold a grudge for a long time, and are probably the only people that would refuse a low fair because of it.

I can certainly tell you that AirTran, being from Georgia and all, is a MOST unwelcome suitor in MKE and most midwesterns have an unsaid contempt for all things Southern. If fact, I haven't seen such disdain for an outfit since USAir said "we'll replace Southern hospitaltiy with Northern efficiency" when they bought Piedmont.

While NWA may be the arch enemy, it IS a Minnesota company, and believe or not, that counts with a lot of folks in Wisconsin.

Be that as it may, everyone has a price, even if they won't admit to it, so we'll have to wait to see if someone names it.

Nu

"I would hazard a *guess* that the 20+ aircraft to go to MKE immediately would likely be existing 717/737 which are ATL-based.
It would ease the gate congestion in ATL and likely give us a nice flow-through city for the flying."

A big ease to our congestion! Everytime I get an updated "plot" from routing for each month, there's always something new to the puzzle. Hoping things move a little this weekend.

"Early nights" start Aug 21st...all 2200/2300 departures cut out on Tuesdays/Wednesdays...last flight will leave @ 2130...pretty early this year...last couple of years it started in Early to mid Sept.

Latest resources

Back