Northamerican goes ALPA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bigboeings

The Air Line Pilots Association, Int’l (ALPA), welcomes today’s announcement by the National Mediation Board (NMB) that the pilots of North American Airlines (NAA) have selected ALPA as their collective bargaining representative.

An overwhelming 87% of 181 eligible NAA pilots cast votes in support of joining ALPA. ALPA received 158 of the 164 votes cast. The International Brotherhood of Teamsters (IBT)

represented the NAA pilots prior to the election.

“NAA pilots realized that the world’s largest pilots union has the resources vital to help them enforce their current contract now and prepare for negotiations in the future,” said Capt. John Prater, ALPA’s president. “We are extremely pleased that the NAA pilots have joined the ALPA family.”

“NAA pilots chose ALPA because of the many benefits such as aeromedical services and the access to worldwide support through ALPA and its affiliation with the International Federation of Air Line Pilots’ Associations (IFALPA),” said Capt. Al Gallo, Temporary Master Executive Council chairman of the NAA unit of ALPA. “Those benefits extend to the ALPA staff whose vast experience and expertise will be invaluable in our efforts to protect our rights and advance our careers under our collective bargaining agreement. We did not have the resources under the IBT that we have now with ALPA, and we plan to take full advantage of this opportunity.”

The pilots of NAA fly Boeing 757 and 767 aircraft for passenger, military, and cargo operations around the world.

Founded in 1931, ALPA is the world’s largest pilots union, now representing—with the addition of the NAA pilots—nearly 53,000 pilots at 37 airlines in the United States and Canada.

Congratulations gentlemen. I know exatly how much work is involved in such a campaign, and after the "fall of Baghdad" dust settles you'll be as satisfied as we've been after ousting the IBT.

Yeah, Its gonna be great for you. When your holding company starts screwing you, ALPA will show them who is the boss just like they did at ATA. Oh wait a min................

Don`t forget that scope clause NAA guys and girls,is sure didn`t stop NAA from flying some of our routes at ATA.

You guys will be very happy with your decision. Welcome!

Wrong, I still have my gold plated pick-axe handle to prove it. I used to watch "Hoffa" and feel so proud. While I think ALPA is better than the Teamsters and I feel that a union is required in aviation' I no longer have the faith that I once had in ALPA's ability to defend my job and benifits. They both have lost their way and it does not look as if they will ever find it again.

Jet

Latest resources

Back