• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Paul R. Smith

Fender Bender
Hello,

I was just wondering how the fractional side does the bag weights and nonstandard pax weights. Do the pax tell you their weight, and are the bags weighed? How do you operate out of an FBO that does not have a scale for weighing things like bags and skis and what-not. Just curious how you make it work. I got a charter flight coming up with some nonstandard w&b considerations that I want to have absolutely squared away because someone is coming to watch.:eek:

NJA uses 221lbs as an average weight during the summer. This number includes the weight of the pax, one carry-on and their baggage in the aft bay. The W/B is generated by our dispatchers and faxed to us along with the rest of our release package.

If we need to, we can do actual weights and manually calculate the W/B. I've only had to do this once however.

Would that invlove weighing the bags, and having the folks give you their weight?

Thanks for the replies.

Do you guys have folks at the airports you serve do this for you or is this something any given FBO can take care of. I'm a 121 guy with an occasional charter on my schedule and when it comes to off-station airports such as Evansville IN I am wondering how the bags are gonna be calculated. I got the pax wts but the bags are gonna be a wild card. Our CFM touches on this subject. Perhaps I will need to ask some more questions and read more:mad: .

Bag Weights???? = Fractionals = NOT!

Let's be honest... 221 pounds per person???? Give me a break... your average guy weighs 180 lbs... his bags equal 40-60 lbs and then throw in his golf bag and you're talking about 280 or so... throw in his wife's 6-8 bags and her 150 lbs and you are not even close... does Dick Ebersol mean anything to you???? Fractionals and corporate don't even get close to accurate bag counts... even the airlines don't get close and we have the FAA up our butts....

Tail

PS- b4 you stick it to me I've been there loading those bags for CS and never even got tipped for it b/c CS tells the owners not to b/c CS pilots are the best paid in the industry... pretty crappy if you ask me.

tailhookah said:
Bag Weights???? = Fractionals = NOT!

Let's be honest... 221 pounds per person???? Give me a break... your average guy weighs 180 lbs... his bags equal 40-60 lbs and then throw in his golf bag and you're talking about 280 or so... throw in his wife's 6-8 bags and her 150 lbs and you are not even close... does Dick Ebersol mean anything to you???? Fractionals and corporate don't even get close to accurate bag counts... even the airlines don't get close and we have the FAA up our butts....

Tail

PS- b4 you stick it to me I've been there loading those bags for CS and never even got tipped for it b/c CS tells the owners not to b/c CS pilots are the best paid in the industry... pretty crappy if you ask me.

As the the Ebersol deal, from everything I have read it was a contaminated wing issue.

As for the tip issue, don't know what to say. You load a lot of bags for me, you get tipped. You touch one bag, maybe not. Most line guys I see it comes out in the wash. Owner on the last tour was handing out 50 like candy to the line guys. BTW I don't work for CS.

NJA weight definitions:

Adult Pax 190 Summer / 195 Winter
Child Pax 82 Summer / 87 Winter
(Includes 16 Lb "personal item")

Standard Baggage = 30 lbs (thus 190+30=220 as stated above)
If a bag is considered heavy = 60 lbs should be used

PIC can also go to actual weights if you feel the need.

OK, so call me an FOM geek now.....

RNObased said:
As for the tip issue, don't know what to say. You load a lot of bags for me, you get tipped. You touch one bag, maybe not. Most line guys I see it comes out in the wash. Owner on the last tour was handing out 50 like candy to the line guys. BTW I don't work for CS.
I don't tip a dime for baggage handling. Those guys get tipped handsomely by the owners. Last tour we had a family with 2 small children, all their associated junk, and several large bags. Wouldn't all fit in the external baggage compartment, so had to jam a bunch of large bags into the lav and rear seats, and unloaded it at the destination. The rampies took the bags at the trunk of the car and loaded them inside. For their herculean effort, they were given $60 by the owner. Us? Jack squat. No extra from me, even if they did help.

Latest resources

Back