Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

chrisdahut24

Hey all

Just wondering if anyone knows what the background check involves before getting hired at an airline these days? I've heard all sorts of rumours, and can't seem to find any detailed information on the net. The latest one is that you have to wait 45 days before starting training, and then you have to be "grounded" every 6 months to do a background check, AGAIN!!, which can last two weeks! This all sounds just a tad absurd, but certainly wouldn't surprise me. However, what concerns me more is: are the regionals hiring non U.S. citizens (greencard holders/permanent residents) due to the hassle and obvious cost involved with these "security" procedures? Obviously any HR person I talk to is going to tell me "sure, we don't discriminate!" for fear of being slapped with a big lawsuit. But of course they could always fail you on some portion of the interview if they wanted to. Anyone know of any permanent residents who have been hired recently at any regional? Anyone have first hand knowledge of whats involved with the security checks? Please only answer if you know for sure or are reasonably sure of the answer....I appreciate getting peoples opinions, but I need hard facts on this issue.

Thanks in advance!

before training in any aircraft > 12500 MGTW any non US citizen has to submit to a background check administered by the DOJ (Aviation Transportation Security Act Section 113). The process is kicked off by registering at https://www.flightschoolcandidates.gov and then submitting 18 web pages worth of personal data. Before starting with the process you need to already have a training provider lined up. The process cannot be started without being recognized by a training provider. Training providers can be airlines that sponsor your training or providers like FlightSafety, Simcom etc. where you fund your own training.
After having submitted your data through the web site, you will have to wait for a notification to submit fingerprints. That can take as long as the government wants it to take. There is NO time limit on this step. AFTER having submitted fingerprints the government has a max. of 45 days to complete the process.
I know all this first hand because I am in the middle of the process. Submitted my data through the web site in March and am still waiting for the notification to submit fingerprints. I am a legal permanant resident. Good luck!

If you want my advice, here it comes.

Get your Citizenship as fast as you can, because no airline out there is gonna choose an applicant like you (requiring more paperwork and time delay) when they have a 100 others waiting for the seat.

I lived in this country for 11 years (since I was 14) and never bothered with a citizenship (stupid me).

I had my resume walked in to Commutair, one to Chautauqua, and one by a captain at Comair. I have 3100TT and 1300ME, and still can't get an interview. Wonder why?

I'm now 3 months away from my US Citizenship (it takes at least 8 months of paperwork from INS), finally ...

Best Luck
L

I agree that it's best to get your citizenship ASAP, but I don't see how this has kept you from getting interviews. Unless you specifically state on your resume or cover letter that you are foreign, there is no reason for the HR person to know you're not a U.S. citizen. Since you've been here for a while, I assume that your resume has enough American employers on it so as not to stand out from others in a negative way.

What happens after an interview is another story alltogether, of course. Legally, the airlines can't deny you a job for this reason but try to prove that in court.

Without trying to probe too deep into your personal life, what is your ethnic background? If it is Middle Eastern, perhaps your name could be sending so-called red flags at HR. I don't think that's right, but that may be an explanation. That, or you could just be like thousands of others, citizens and non-citizens alike, who have the qualificiations but are wondering why they haven't gotten a call. I would venture to guess it is the latter. Comutair and Chautauqua require internal recommendations and Comair requires a bunch of Part 121 time, regardless of who walks it in (exceptions being the Academy graduates, but that's a whole different thread).

Hey, maybe I am exaggerating a bit about my situation, but it is somewhat true. I know a guy at Commutair and he told me two people were stopped from training for a particular class date because they weren't US citizens.

I'm from Europe, so I don't think that should scare them that much.

Anyways, I still believe that when they hire people, they'd rather take people that make it easy on paperwork, and not having a US C. certainly doesn't make it any easier...

good luck with your job search

(exceptions being the Academy graduates, but that's a whole different thread).

Hey, start a thread on this, you got something against Academy grads?

B

I have no opinion on Academy grads, either way. I just know there are many out there who do and I've been on these boards long enough to know that a thread can easily go off on an unwanted tangent. I wanted to make sure this particular discussion stayed on topic.

There, that is all I have to say on the subject. If you feel the need to expound on this matter, may I suggest the "New Thread" button.

ummm, I have something aganst them.

I mean after all, after all that brain washing there isn't much left for the real world knowledge, Bwahahaha

Wnat an example? I taught for 700 hours as a CFI. One of my students was an ERAU grad, wanting to get a C172 checkout. I asked him to give me a short field landing - he almost peeled the tires off the rims trying to impress how short he could make it.

After chatting with him a bit, his theory wat that once he got his 1000tt / 100 me, he'd fly as jet FO in CoEx (and that was late 2002 times), why, cause "ERAU had that bridge program they promised him all that." The school didn't even tell the putz that there was still 430 furlough guys before him.

Had enough, threw him out, and that was the end of it. Maybe there are some good guys out there, but that's just a hand full...

Background check is not that bad!

Background check is not that bad and difficult!

Remember it all depends from individual case!

Yes I went through it in 32 days, without any problems!

Remember, to getting you in to interview depends what you but on your resume!

Maybe you can just forget all the schools what you did in lets say in germany and just but information what are requirements to get hired!

Like times, licenses etc...

Yes you can go to DOJ website called!

https://flightschoolcandidates.gov

and fill out the application, but you really cant submit it before you get hired , since you need your company to call in after you have submit it and validate the document.

Which basicly means that they say for people whom are doing check that you are in class and when class starts and what airplane!

(But remember you can also go and buy your type like in panam and that way you get head start for your background check)

Background check involves following things:

-You submit info
-your airline validates your information
DOJ and FBI does background verification, remember this is where it takes time, so make sure your info is correct. it also depends a little where you from ( yes I know that you can't do anything about that if you are born in Israel ( terrorism) it might take longer than person in Island.
-After they have done this , you need to take fingerprints, usually at your airline but I took them at local police station, DOJ sends you the fingerprint kit. It is old way fingerprinting, with that ugly black stuff in your fingers. Very messy.
-After this it takes around week and you get approval info in email and you are good to go.

Hope this helps and you understand all the elements of this Background check

My non US citizen background check took 7 days to complete. The airline sent me a form to sign that authorized a release of my records to the US Dept of Justice, and that was it.

As far as being denied interviews or jobs due to a lack of citizenship, I have never experienced such a problem. In fact in my January 2003 newhire class, out of 14 newhires, 3 of us were Green Card holders.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back