• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Non-tech pilot slots coming to an end?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Since I've conversed with Leo on several occasions, and he knows where I stand on USAFA, ROTC, OTS, UPT and any other acronym I can throw out there (I don't think I mentioned SETOS or the like to him)...

I submit this much:

1) He punched early enough on that I sincerely doubt that it will even matter when he comes up on his UPT selection board (pending PPQ still and such).

2) He really didn't like it there. Period dot. I don't think he should have left, because I wouldn't have left (and didn't). But, I think he made the right choice, because only he can make that choice. My hazing comment was an allusion to this, I wasn't hazed yet he was...because my concept of hazing is different than his. My choices were different than his were.

3) I think his best course of action is to shut up and suck it up. He left, and he only digs himself a bigger hole if he keeps looking in the past and talking about what could have been. I think he stands an even chance of an UPT slot as any other current ROTC cadet...because it's still four years away. And, if that doesn't work, go on the five-year program and get an UPT slot like a guy in my UPT class did.

Hey guys, thanks for the advice. Yes, I didn't like reading it, but there were some good points made. I'm going for a tech degree, and I'm going to work my a$$ off. I'm going to show the board that I AM committed. Thanks again.

Very Respectfully,
Leo R.

Don't worry about the board

Don't try to prove to the board that you are committed, the person you need to convince is yourself. That might take some time but you can do it if you work hard enough and long enough. Good luck.

this is to regard to mr. leo. I am sure u had good reasons to forfeit all the benefits and rights that came with the time being there at the academy. Trust me, when u have second thoughts about something it's best to go with them. Sometimes u might find something better. Don't worry about the rest and their opinions u just do what u gotta do to get ahead.

Leo R. said:
Hey guys, thanks for the advice. Yes, I didn't like reading it, but there were some good points made. I'm going for a tech degree, and I'm going to work my a$$ off. I'm going to show the board that I AM committed. Thanks again.

Very Respectfully,
Leo R.

Leo, if you want my advice about college, and in this order:

Forget about the service for 30 seconds. Pick something you want to study, pick something that will be a decent backup, and third, NOW pick something the service likes.

I tried to go OTS and I can't do it. It has nothing to do with college and it has nothing to do with my GPA, and it has nothing to do with my ASVAB, AFOQT, and PCSM scores. But guess what! I can now tell you all of the things in the USAF I am not qualified to do. I am not qualified to be a pilot, navigator, 13B (air battle manager), air traffic controller, or loadmaster. Donno about KC135 boom operator, I didn't ask.

BTW, I scored 99 ASVAB, 89 Pilot, 91 Nav, 90 Quant, 64 V, 88 AA, 97 PCSM and majored in computer science. You guys wanna guess why I can't do any of that good stuff?

Anyway, I ended up speaking to a couple of ANG units, and there's a he11 of an opportunity with them. I'm most likely going to the MD ANG to study meteorology. Enlistment bonuses for critically manned field are very good, and I couldn't turn it down. The bonuses help because E3 pay isn't that much.

Latest resources

Back