• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Non Rev Embargo on AK to HI

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I never said anyone was flying half full. Read my post. It says "If you only have 150 people"

Maybe ALK can only fill a 737. If that is the case, a larger aircraft would not be a good choice. If you have to bump a few passengers, but still make a profit, you are doing well in this environment.

Last edited:
I never said anyone was flying half full. Read my post. It says "If you only have 150 people"

Maybe ALK can only fill a 737. If that is the case, a larger aircraft would not be a good choice. If you have to bump a few passengers, but still make a profit, you are doing well in this environment.

Try telling that to all the Ex Aloha/ATA pilots who used to fly 737's across the pond.
Those two companies where flooded with complaints about pax being bumped and taken off before they both went out of business!!
I dont see how AS would do any better!

Last edited:
IMHO, I think Aloha and ATA had other bigger problems than bumping pax between oak and hnl. AS is stonger financially than those two carriers were, so they are better positioned to weather this storm, strong headwinds and all!

I think if these flights are operating near 100% completion for the year, most travelers are willing to put up with a fuel stop in oak, heck look what people are willing to put up with to save a buck, how many stops does the average Southwest passegner endure traveling cross country to grandma's house?

AS saw the market was strong and they wanted to jump onboard to make a buck. The big question is how long before Virgin jumps on the Hawaii bandwagon. I also wonder how long before VA starts competing with AS in the Mexico market?

I think AS pulled alot of planes out of the Mexico market after the SARS scare and wanted to give the Hawaii market a shot.
I wouldnt be pleased to about making a fuel stop, but like you said the "low yield" type of pax might not mind.

Latest resources

Back