Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
B1900FO said:
The grass is always greener....

Thats because you're a 1900 FO with 1100 hrs who still sees the possibility of getting on with a major. Your dad may like his job, but ask him if he would still like it if he was your age and had to start over as 737 FO on Reserve or worse furloughed. Has it been this bad before? NO. Companies used to go under, the employees usually would not let managment lead them to a wholesale slaughter.
Would the pension be gone, yes, but not for everybody.

BE1900FO Profile:

A/C Flown: C501, C550, C550-Bravo, BE40, B1900D, SW3
Ratings: Comm/Multi/Inst/CFII
Total Time: 1100

Either

a) I call BS on these planes flown in such a short "career" or
b) he had a rather easy road and has no right to speak for the majority who give their all every day in these lousy wages and conditions

B1900FO said:
I'm just constructively arguing, if there is such a thing. ...
There is. :) It's hard to sustain around here, but it's nice to see the effort!

B1900FO said:
What do you mean it hasn't happened before? Weren't Pan Am, TWA, and Eastern all legacy carriers. They all fell apart and several good people lost their jobs. Considering the legacy carriers are still holding on, barely, but still holding on I'd say we're doing slightly better than the last round.

These are good points, I like to think of them as the beginning of what we have today. An obvious case is Eastern: Frank Lorenzo single handedly destroyed the company in an effort to make himself more money. The management teams behind him learned if you can keep the airline alive rather than run it into the ground and sell it off, you can milk it for even more money in the form of bonuses, especially when paycuts are handed out. With the current financial state of the airlines, where are management's concessions? Are we supposed to go along with massive paycuts while bonuses are distributed to Mahogany Row? Meanwhile you turn around and look at the bulletin board in the crew room and it's a letter from the President saying how the employee's are the most valuable asset and all this baloney about "teamwork". Teamwork would be seeing the president forgo that big bonus and reduce his paycheck to what the highest paid salaried employee makes.

Am I wrong in generalizing that people like to see their effort pay off in the forms of company success and financial compensation? I think that, along with many other factors contribute to some pilots being disgruntled.

I'll have to agree with pilotyip. It may not fully manifest itself for a few more years but there will be difficulties staffing airlines, fractional, 135 ops, etc.

I only say this be observing the trend with flying schools. In a one month period in 2004, thirteen schools in FL closed their doors. At the same time enrollment at major schools had decreased dramatically. This is a result of the word being out, "Flying sucks as a career." It seems more often than not, many of kids come from well to do families that subsidize their kids becoming a pilot. I would believe that many of folks no longer want to shell out the sorts of money required to enter this "profession."

I look to the hiring at many regionals right now. We know that this still isn't a great time for the airlines although it appears relief may be coming, and yet the regions have hiring 200-500 hour applicants. Why if the pilot pool is so deep? What’s going to happen when the Baby Boomer generation starts to retire in earnest? It's already started but in the next five years there will be a huge drain on the pool of available pilots.

You never know, but all the indicators point to a problem within the next five years. It will be up to the overall pilot group on how we deal with this, either to our advantage or detriment.

B1900FO said:
For those of who are complaing, please stop. Quit your job and quit bringing the rest of us down. The industry stinks right now and we all know it. We don't need anyone else to remind us. The fact is, it's happened before and it will happen again.

I have noticed that the pilots who are in it for pay, glamour, coolness, chics, etc. are the ones who are complaining about pay, lifestyle, unhappiness, blah, blah, blah. The pilots who truly enjoy what they're doing are on the deck, helping the ship through the storm, instead of sitting inside complaining about the rough water.

Get out! If you're unhappy, that's your problem.

And no, I am not one of those punk kids who will pay to fly a B1900. I quit the regionals because I was unhappy and I am now flying corporate. I am having a blast! I will eventually go back to the airlines, but it will be awhile. I miss the flying, but I found myself a better situation for the time being.

Leave the people on this board alone who are happy with their lives. Quite frankly I'm tired of the negative people. Our industry does not need you!

Blue skies and tailwinds to those who make this industry work every day and love what they do!!!

-B1900FO

(p.s., don't criticize my grammar or spelling, i don't proof read on a forum)

Can I get an AMEN???????

Unfortunately, instead of quittin the complainers will keep complaining and make work miserable for the rest of us.

~~~^~~~ said:
Pilot Yip - No conspiracy, it is compassion. Your quote about a greater pilot shortage implies that there is a great pilot shortage now. When Continental has more than 12,000 applications on file for a potential 600 jobs and it is called a "hiring opportunity" there aint no shortage.

When Wilbur and Orville flipped a coin to see who would be the first pilot -aviation already had twice the number of pilots it needed. It got worse from there.

The Piloting Profession needs a union. If we had a union to raise this profession we could see things change. Until then I would not recommend that anyone become a pilot.

For every 24 month E170 Captain at Republic/Shuttle America there are 10 furloughed mainline pilots and another 10 stagnating RJ pilots at some former wholly owned.

People win the lottery, but I do not consider a lottery ticket an investment in the future.

-----

Dude that line about Wilbur and Orvile was classic. If that line is yours, you need to make a tee shirt. Make some money!!!!!:beer:

That says it all buddy...nice job!!!!

I don't see any opportunities with a major because the opportunity hasn't presented itself to me yet. I was being sarcastic when I said "the grass is always greener." If I do have the opportunity to go to the majors in my career, then yes, I will try.

Yes it sucks being furloughed. To be honest, I can't imagine having to go through that, but the point is, those guys are furloughed. Why waste your time blaming the company and feeling sorry for yourself when you can try to be positive and do the best you can to move forward.

acaTerry,

I have flown all of the airplanes listed, otherwise I wouldn't have listed them. I will admit, I have been lucky, but that's only because I've been in the right place at the right time and done the best work I can.

Guys,

I'm in this game because so far, I enjoy it. I still look forward to flying when I do. Just like the rest of you, I do get bored at times, and there are days I would rather not go but overall I really do enjoy it. However, if there ever comes a time when it starts be a boring job that I absolutely hate, I'm out.

Its ok to say "this sucks!" It's ok to say "this isn't fair," but only for a little bit. Afterwhile it's time to make the best of it or move on, but don't drag the others in with you.

Have fun guys!

B1900FO said:

I will admit, I have been lucky, but that's only because I've been in the right place at the right time and done the best work I can.

And this is exactly why you should not involve yourself in telling those who were not so lucky to quit complaining, or quit, or whatever it is you are saying. No offense, but too many of us worked our a$$es of for years and years. Then some lucky star comes along and sings about how great everything is for them and how we don't have it so bad.

However, if there ever comes a time when it starts be a boring job that I absolutely hate, I'm out.

Again, it must be nice to be able to just change jobs so easily. Most pilots have college loans, flight training loans, etc and can't just jump ship because it was hard.

Afterwhile it's time to make the best of it or move on, but don't drag the others in with you.

Again again, your lucky path has not taught you the virtue and value of SOLIDARITY. If we don't stick together to make things better, things will continue getting worse.

So there it is...

acaTerry,

Thats the attitude I'm talking about. I certainly don't think I have had it better than anyone, and definitely realize there are people that have had it much better than me.

I'm not going to get involved in a pissing match about who's worked harder than who. Believe it or not, I have worked my a$$ to get where I am.

As far as changing jobs is concerned. No, it's not easy, but I am not gonna be miserable either.

As far as Solidarity is concerned. You're right, we need to stick together, but complaining about your personal hardships isn't going to get any of us anywhere. Be constructive about your complaints to the right people. Then maybe something will get done.

My friends, no one owe's anything to you. You all started flying because you enjoyed it, or at least some of you did and you said you would do anything to build time. Now look at some of you, you are blaming the rest of us who have had it "easier" for your unhappiness in this industry. I said it once and I'll say it again, if you're unhappy get out!

Latest resources

Back