• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AGuyThatFlys

Prepare to be boarded!
From the "Ask the Pilot" column at Salon.com:

http://www.salon.com/tech/col/smith/2006/03/24/askthepilot179/

You'll have to watch an ad before you can read the whole article.

Some of my favorite quotes:

"Typically, pilots are paid based on a schedule of 75-85 flight hours per month. Yes, that multiplies out to around 1,000 hours for the year. Actual monthly duty time, however, can be 150 hours or more, not including layovers. A pilot works 75 hours a month much the way a football player works one hour a week. All the preparation and paperwork of a journey by air -- weather planning, preflight inspections, flight plan review, etc., etc. -- are off the clock, strictly speaking, as are those nights at the Ramada or La Quinta.

Example: A pilot, let's call him Steve, wakes at 5 a.m. in a hotel room in Jacksonville, with a scheduled departure for Washington at 0700. Steve is a first officer for a major U.S. airline and makes $65,000 annually. He and his crew fly to Washington, where they have a 90-minute stay before taking off again for Boston. After a two-hour sit and a maintenance delay in Boston, they fly to Toronto, landing just after 5 p.m. An hour later, they're dropped off at a hotel near the airport to spend the night. Total elapsed time from curbside to curbside: more than 12 hours. Total pay hours: fewer than five. Oh, and there's a 4 a.m. wakeup call on tap for the next morning.

Repeat this scenario, or something close to it, 16, 17, or 18 times a month."

"One venue to prominently splash the BLS/Bizjournals findings on the front of its business section was MSNBC.com. What I like best about this story is the accompanying through-the-windshield photograph of a pilot on the flight deck. Look at the captain saluting, as if he's signing off on this nonsense. In one of the sharpest ironies I've encountered in some time, you'll notice that he's sitting at the controls of a Canadair Regional Jet. It'd be easy to mine a thousand words from this absurdly ill-chosen picture, but here's the short version:

I see a guy about 55 years old. He cut his teeth flying commuters in the 1970s for $220 a week, until landing a job at Braniff in the late 1970s. The future looked bright. Until Braniff, once one of the world's biggest and fastest-growing airlines, went under. Then, he took a job at Eastern, starting over, per protocol, at the bottom of the list at probationary pay and benefits. Then came Lorenzo and the strike, and Eastern too was soon gone. Onward to USAir -- again to the bottom, and another re-set of the pay and benefits clock. It seemed an acceptable bet -- until yet again things turned sour and he was furloughed. Next he settled in with one of the growing regionals, where he made about $15,000 in his first year. Eventually, when his turn came, he upgraded to captain, and today he's as comfortable as he can expect to be, looking at retirement in just a few years. He earns $70,000 or so -- more than at any prior position. A respectable income, certainly, but that's his big payoff after, what, 30 years of flying? Just out of view is the first officer. He's 28 and a new hire, with fifty grand in college and flight school debts. He expects to bring home about $18,000.

So why enter this lousy line of work, with all its pitfalls and dangers and smashed-up dreams? Because you love it, of course, and because, should the cards come up right, you can be one of those lucky ones sitting pretty in a Boeing 777 en route to Shanghai -- hopefully while you're still young enough to enjoy it. As J.A. Donoghue, the editor of Air Transport World magazine, once put it, 'Aviation does not attract the easily discouraged.'"

"A regional carrier I once worked at lectured its new hires about the virtues of, naturally, professionalism. The airline demanded its trainees wear ties to class and meet near-perfect standards of performance and behavior. Fair enough, but this same company paid us all of $14,000. Is that professional?

As a pilot with one carrier, I was told to make sure the knot in my necktie was the proper width. Then I would step into the cockpit of my freighter aircraft, where the floor was often so covered with filth, gum wrappers, dust and dirt, that a rapid decompression would probably have blinded the entire crew. How about some professionalism there?

Employees are shouldered with the role, unwanted or otherwise, of representing the company they work for. That company has the right to demand they present themselves in its desired image. But shouldn't it work both ways? One regional pilot puts it this way: "I find it hard to take my job seriously because I am not treated seriously. Rather, I take the idea of my job seriously."

Fly because you like to and it is a great career.

That is case someone missed it, BTW the 55 year old guy has a career path like a lot of pilots I know. Like I said before you will not know when you change jobs if you made the rigth choice for 5 years.

The only way to enjoy this career is to make it a part time job. Make all your money somewhere else and fly as little as possible. That way if mgt. wants to run the airline into the ground it won't take you and your family with it.

This is where I hope to be in the near future, then you might see me flying for fun again.

Flying is fun but flying for a living is no fun.

av8er2 said:
The only way to enjoy this career is to make it a part time job. Make all your money somewhere else and fly as little as possible. That way if mgt. wants to run the airline into the ground it won't take you and your family with it.

This is where I hope to be in the near future, then you might see me flying for fun again.

Flying is fun but flying for a living is no fun.

Very True!!! Yet very, very SAD!!!!

Too many negative vibes on this board, flying is still a great!! career if you like to fly. It is going to scare away guys who really want to fly airplanes, or maybe that is a conspiracy to keep people from coming into the profession and cause a greater pilot shortage in order to drive up wages?

Pilot Yip - No conspiracy, it is compassion. Your quote about a greater pilot shortage implies that there is a great pilot shortage now. When Continental has more than 12,000 applications on file for a potential 600 jobs and it is called a "hiring opportunity" there aint no shortage.

When Wilbur and Orville flipped a coin to see who would be the first pilot -aviation already had twice the number of pilots it needed. It got worse from there.

The Piloting Profession needs a union. If we had a union to raise this profession we could see things change. Until then I would not recommend that anyone become a pilot.

For every 24 month E170 Captain at Republic/Shuttle America there are 10 furloughed mainline pilots and another 10 stagnating RJ pilots at some former wholly owned.

People win the lottery, but I do not consider a lottery ticket an investment in the future.

-----

Fly because you have to - because you have to many occurences to call out sick again and because your contract offers you no protection against exhaustion, junior manning and poor planning by airline management.

pilotyip said:
That is case someone missed it, BTW the 55 year old guy has a career path like a lot of pilots I know. Like I said before you will not know when you change jobs if you made the rigth choice for 5 years.

I didn't miss it because I've lived it. That part of the story stood out most to me.

Coming hiring boom

Yes nnnnvnnnn, CAL has 12,000 apps, the same 12,000 as SWA, UPS, JetBlue, etc. There is a growing pilot shortage on the entry level in this business, it will spread to the big boys as the 12K of qualified pilots finds jobs. They will never run out of applicants, they will just redefine thier competitve hiring minimums. Everyone will have a shot at a job. The recall starting a UAL, NWA, etc will accelerate this process. BTW this all supports the June 2007 hiring boom predicated back in 2003

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back