• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

MLBWINGBORN

Freedom Fighter
Hey guys and gals..

Just finished reading the latest company mail..

I hate to say this..But they just said that there will be NO new classes until Jan of 2004..This is straight from Dallas..

Now..The good news is that it said classes will resume
in Jan of 2004..

Its sorta a half full/ half empty sorta thing..

But..I would bet a beer that we have at least one class in Dec 2003..

Any takers?

Mike

Last edited:
AND.... on the company mail is actually says that classes will resume in January 2004.

Not trying to overide you here Mike, just thought that sounded more positive for all the poolies.

Bake

You sir are very correct..I shoulda proof read my post..

I will change my post..Thanks for keeping me honest..

Mike

I don't know, Mike. Dave Edens sounded pretty firm on the "no new classes" this year on the employee newsline, so I'll take you up on your bet. But again, I think I'll choose to see it as half full.
At least we are not wondering anymore and can plan accordingly. Plus, I'm just barely senior enough to maybe get one last Christmas off at my current airline this year. And he did say "classes" plural starting in January, so let me be the first to guess January 5th and 19th for the first 2 classes. Anyone want to second that?
Another good thing: for the relatively senior poolies, waiting until January just means less time in OAK with lots of folks behind. If we got hired tomorrow we'd be in OAK until the end of February at least. Sounds like it's gonna be a great new year!

"Captain Greg Crum has just completed a manning analysis concerning Pilot hiring. There will be no additional New Hire Pilot classes for the remainder of this year. New Hire Pilot classes will resume in January 2004."

Here it is...off the hotline

I'm hearing it now, but.....

I'll believe it later.

Just last week:

Chief Financial Officer Gary Kelly also said Southwest may dip into the used-airplane market or defer the retirement of older jets to seize new opportunities as larger airlines abandon some markets and shift service in other markets to regional partners.

"We're ramping up our growth," Kelly told reporters and investors during conference calls. "We feel like we're in a superb position. We're the low-cost producer in a low-fare world."

12 more new airplanes coming in '03, maybe some additional used ones, possible -200 retirement deferrals, new opportunities in abandonned markets, and ramping up growth...... And no classes until next year?

What the heck....it's only another 152 days until '04 anyhow. Seems like hardly nothing when you've crossed off 534 off the last two calenders. Anybody have an extra Sharpie?

Coop, I thought I was the only one counting the days....
Anyway, aged Kool Aid always tastes better, and this gives me some more time to look for that Kool Aid necktie I've been searching for for years.
If anyone offers the sharpie pick up an extra one for me!

It takes six to eight weeks to get a class out on the line..

If the folks that be wake up and decide to "ramp up growth" one morning it will take six weeks min to make it happen if they dont have any classes in the pipeline..

If they want to add planes quickly during the first part of 2004 then they need to have a class in the pipeline prior to the end of 2003..

Thats my W.A.G and im sticking to it..

Mike

I agree with PT on the class dates in Jan. I'm planning a nice Hawaiian vacation before my class date. I'm putting my $$ on the Jan 19th class. 169 days to go...woo woo.
JimBeam

Good News, Bad News......

Thanx for the info guys....It's really appreciated! I'd have to call this MORE GOOD NEWS than bad news though! I loved hearing classes will resume.........

Coop, PT, Jimbo........I am right with you guys, counting the days!! I'am heading out this morning to Costco to pick up my new box of Sharpie's!!!!!!!!

Oh yea, and my 2004 Calendar which I will rip out every month except January!!!! well, mabey I'll leave February too........(just in case)

Mike, I'm with you, I got my money on one class this December! These announcements always tend to the conservative side of things. Come to think about it, I think we all had this exact same conversation/bet last year..........

Hang in there guys......are day is coming!

Iceberg
SOUTHWEST ROCKS!

Latest resources

Back