Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

320AV8R

DUMP ALPA

It looks like the DC-10 is going away, & there will be no more furloughs. .....recalls to follow.

320AV8R

TO: All Pilots
FROM: Tim Rainey, Senior VP Flight Operations, Inflight, & SOC
DATE: May 17, 2006
RE: Pilot Staffing Update

In March I provided a pilot staffing summary that highlighted a substantial reduction in the projected number of pilot furloughs. With the recent ratification of the NWA-ALPA Tentative Agreement and more progress in aircraft renegotiations, I wanted to provide an update on the flying level, fleet plan, and furlough projections.

Despite recent increases in fuel prices, the level of flying projected for the remainder of 2006 and into 2007 is expected to continue at a level higher than was originally budgeted. Continued increases in fuel prices may make it difficult to sustain this level, and substantial fuel price increases could drive reductions in the flying level. We are also assuming successful completion of labor cost restructuring.

The high cost of fuel has driven the decision to expedite the retirement of the remaining DC10 aircraft. The DC-10 will cease scheduled operations effective with the Jan 8 schedule change.

The details of the retirement plan are being finalized and once complete a separate communication, per section 24.D.5 of the contract, will be provided addressing the closure of the MSP DC10 pilot base. The flying currently operated by the DC10 aircraft will be wholly supported in the future by upcoming A330 deliveries and the return of three currently out-of-service
747-400 aircraft. As a result of the DC10 retirement and increased A330 flying, we are now forecasting the need to open a MSP A330 pilot base in late 2007. As more information regarding the MSP A330 base is available, additional communications will be provided.

The 757 fleet plan also changed considerably over the past several weeks. Additional revenue opportunities have led to a projected increase in 757 flying, pending successful lease negotiations. This increased flying is planned to be incremental, and not the result of reduced flying on other equipment types. Although route details and timing are still being determined, the additional flying is expected in early 2007.

While it is impossible to predict the impact that higher fuel prices will have on the airline and pilot staffing, the current staffing picture continues to improve. The combined impact of the changes highlighted above eliminates the need to furlough additional pilots as a result of the ratified TA. Effective immediately, there are no plans for additional furloughs, as I had previously communicated in my March 15th memo. In addition, we are forecasting the need to begin recalling pilots next year to support the planned operational growth and normal attrition.

With no future furlough plans and the pending start of the Pilot Early Retirement Program (PERP) included in the TA, we don’t anticipate granting any additional voluntary furloughs. I want to again express my personal thanks to you for your ongoing commitment to NWA during this difficult time. We will continue to keep you informed of other developments as new information becomes available.

Sincerely,
Tim Rainey
Cc: Mark McClain, ALPA
William Dollaway, ALPA
Andrew Massey, ALPA

Hahahahahaha, they be calling their early out guys, "PERPS". Nice touch.

I had a discussion with a few NW pilot now, all said they lease you were able to re-work on the DC-10 was fantastic and that that fleet would stay around? Wonder what happened. Regardless, glad to hear about upcoming furloughs.

Even while parking another 27 MD-80s we are still short, and even the company are admitting end of this year, early next year for recalls, we just can't staff the airline anymore.

Will be nice to see all of us legacies get our pilots back home.

Best,
AA

when they say "recalls" are they talking mainline or compass?

Not flame, but being from the US Air disfunctional family, I can't help it my mind has been triggered to think of the "words" these people use and what they really mean.

AAflyer said:

I had a discussion with a few NW pilot now, all said they lease you were able to re-work on the DC-10 was fantastic and that that fleet would stay around? Wonder what happened. Regardless, glad to hear about upcoming furloughs.

Even while parking another 27 MD-80s we are still short, and even the company are admitting end of this year, early next year for recalls, we just can't staff the airline anymore.

Will be nice to see all of us legacies get our pilots back home.

Best,
AA

Great news for NWA. We are hiring like mad and still are going to be very thin this summer at CAl..Lots of Jr. Manning. Heard the same from some buds at AA as well.

wmudriver said:
What will happen to the FE's on the 10? Will they go over 747-2 on the cargo or pax side? Finally some good news in Red-Tail land.

That will all depend on if they can hold it. Many are Ropes. So Ropes may be bumping ropes.

LearLove said:
when they say "recalls" are they talking mainline or compass?

Not flame, but being from the US Air disfunctional family, I can't help it my mind has been triggered to think of the "words" these people use and what they really mean.

LL-

From all the info I have, the recalls are to MAINLINE.

320AV8R

what are ropes? i am just a regional pilot, so i do not understand your "major Lingo"

Latest resources

Back