No more O2 mask--if you act now

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Boiler,

You are correct about the fuel burn. I was illustrating a visual approach, keeping the speed up throwing the stuff out just short of the marker. Keeping an eye out where the class B starts, adjusting speed accordingly is just a waste.

Even at 40,000 ft where TUC could be as low as 7-10 seconds, it only takes 5-10 seconds to remove the EMR Oxygen mask from stowage and don it. If the mask was on your lap, it should take only 3 to 5 seconds, and this assume worst case of a 50% loss of normal TUC.

Then throw in the time that there has been a rapid decompression of a passenger plane at altitude

Then throw in the times that a rapid dcompression could/has occurred while a pilot was using the LAV.

The results mean that there is almost no chance of it happening, and if it did, the single pilot should still have time to don his mask. I would say the odds of all of this happening are the same as your aircraft being hit by a meteor inflight.

Just my opinion......

FNG

And the odds of terrorists attempting entry into the cockpit are probably greater.

If by some chance one succeeded, a mask on the face is the last think you want.

There are a lot of things that we'll never get a chance to change. Here is one that we do. Submit your comment to agree with the removal of this rule here:
http://www.regulations.gov/search/Regs/home.html#submitComment?R=0900006480a41a09

Yes, they should. In the meantime, please go to this link and submt your comments on the right side. Try this one:

"So that I can't be disabled in an attack and so that I won't miss any radio calls, please approve this rule change."

http://www.regulations.gov/search/Regs/home.html#submitComment?R=0900006480a41a09

We can get this one changed and win one for the Gipper!

This is a dumb excuse. An intruder can use your shirt against you. Are you going to start a shirtless cockpit campaign?

Thanks for bringing this silly campaign to my attention. I'm submitting my comments to keep the O2 rules for 121 as they are. Wear the mask.....sheesh!

Last edited:
since we fly in the mid 40's lots, we pratice getting the mask to your face and start breathing, then worry about getting it on your head. You can save time by grabbing it and putting it over your mouth first, then get the harness over your head. Think about it!

since we fly in the mid 40's lots, we pratice getting the mask to your face and start breathing, then worry about getting it on your head. You can save time by grabbing it and putting it over your mouth first, then get the harness over your head. Think about it!
There is a clasic case from the Air Force, of an explosive decompression in a T-39 where the aircraft commander did exactly what you suggest and ended up unconsious-reviving-unconsious-reviving, several times during the descent. The co-pilot, who put his mask on properly, saved the airplane.

There is a clasic case from the Air Force, of an explosive decompression in a T-39 where the aircraft commander did exactly what you suggest and ended up unconsious-reviving-unconsious-reviving, several times during the descent. The co-pilot, who put his mask on properly, saved the airplane.

Do you have more info on that situation?
The EROS mask goes on you face first anyway, I just don't want to get hung up with glasses and headsets and not start breathing.

Do you have more info on that situation?
The EROS mask goes on you face first anyway, I just don't want to get hung up with glasses and headsets and not start breathing.
It was so long ago, I wouldn't know where to look, but it was used by the chamber check instructors as an illustration of what can happen in the "pressure breathing" region. At those altitudes, virtually all the air in your lungs is expelled and as you grab for that mask you're starting to pass out already. If you just hold the mask to your face, when you pass out, the mask falls away, but the one or two breaths that were forced into you revive you and the cycle repeats itself. It was used as an illustration of the importantance of a secure, sealed mask .

The newest EROS full face mask should go right over glasses.

Latest resources

Back