• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

No more Europe flights

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You're absolutely right G200. I'll tell the boss to pack it up and sell the airplane because we shouldn't use the company jet on domestic trips only.
Well you gotta' admit that it does sound pretty bizarre when you tell a bunch of yo-yos that you don't know (us) that two companies in a row have had the coin and the desire to buy and operate an old Challenger and then both change their minds and cheap-out over a couple thousand extra bucks for fuel on Europe trips that they supposedly bought the jets for in the 1st place, and then expect us not to compare you to our own organizations; organizations that react like, uh, "Hey, Gern... I know it's gonna' cost us $70 grand instead of $68 grand to do our scheduled Paris run on the 12th... See you on the 12th."
Definitely a non sequitur you've got goin' there.

The problem is there are too many owners who can't really afford these airplanes, so they buy and old airplane and try to make their flight department work on a shoestring budget. I fly to Europe a couple times a month and have never heard a single complaint about any legitimate operating expense. It costs what it costs. Maybe the airline is the best choice for your owner, but I doubt it. I don't know how old or inexpensive your Challenger was to purchase, but I suspect when you consider the capital cost and fixed costs, it won't makes sense to leave the airplane sitting in the hangar instead of paying the marginally higher direct operating cost. Yes, it's more expensive to operate to Europe, but paying for the airplane, hangar, insurance, maintenance and flight department only to then jump on United Airlines to save a dollar is just insane!

Without question, the airlines are far cheaper both domestically and internationally. The question is why did your owner buy an airplane in the first plance? If he was trying to save some money, you're in serious trouble.

If they are gonna gig you for the whole trip from the US, and costs are a concern, why not just tech stop in Shannon and get their cheaper fuel and start the ETS clock there?

Don't forget the last two letters of ETS stand for "trading scheme"...

If they are gonna gig you for the whole trip from the US, and costs are a concern, why not just tech stop in Shannon and get their cheaper fuel and start the ETS clock there?

Don't forget the last two letters of ETS stand for "trading scheme"...

Really should stand for 'theving scheme'... :p

EINN won't do it...you must land in EGNS. You're trip will begin there and save tons of $$. Only a matter of time until they plug that gap I'm sure.

EINN won't do it...you must land in EGNS. You're trip will begin there and save tons of $$. Only a matter of time until they plug that gap I'm sure.

I don't know. There are a whole lot of "gaps" extant in the IOM that have, so far, gone un-plugged.

Here's hoping!

TC

If anyone can put an end to the ETS madness, it will have to be the Chinese. They are not infected with political correctness and don't care what the French and Germans think of them (for good reason too). As for Europe, other than sightseeing or taking personal delivery of your new Porshe and ringing it out on the autobahn, why go? The business opportunity there pales in comparison to Asia.

Maybe we can make the tax retroactive and charge the Europeans for all the emissions produced by the last two world wars they hosted.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how much more a 2100 nm flight into to EU will cost?

Also, BTW, I cannot believe that anyone who can own a challenger would have a problem with affording these costs ... We are talking about a couple bottles of good wine here ...

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back