No military activity at FLL this year?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

crash-proof

For those down here at FLL or whereabouts...where are all the Air & sea show planes based out of this year? With only one day to the show I would be expecting the usual excitement of F-15s, F-14s and the thunderbirds doing their thing out of FLL but it's friday and only a lone C-130 parked on the ramp.

What's up, are they all at Homestead this year?

I was in FLL Monday and we had to wait for departure due to the Thunderbirds doing their thing along the coast. There was nothing parked on the ramp while we were there.

Yeah, they are around:

Keep hearing and seeing noisy jets over meh house, 2NM from FLL and 2NM from the beach..:rolleyes:

I read the other day everything will be staged at Opa Locka.

from what i know and have read through the newspaper the military airplanes are departing from opa locka airport.....just southwest of FLL as far as civilian airplanes...they are leaving out of pompano...i guess they didnt want to congest the already congested FLL and FXE!! plus opa locka has 2 parallel looong runways!!

latinachick said:
from what i know and have read through the newspaper the military airplanes are departing from opa locka airport.....just southwest of FLL as far as civilian airplanes...they are leaving out of pompano...i guess they didnt want to congest the already congested FLL and FXE!! plus opa locka has 2 parallel looong runways!!

Hay que rico, mamacita.

sorry... ;)

Yeah that makes sense, when the 'birds would do their thing FLL simply froze up, zero activity on the runways, for roughly an hour. Guess someone here put their foot down.

FLL will be closed when the t-birds do their thang, and half (yes, half) of FXE will be as well. Not sure about PMP and so on. I was watching part of the practice airshow today, but the rent a cops said I was not allowed to watch from the empty parking garage at the Galleria. Grrr......but what I saw seemed pretty cool. I'll see ya'll down there sunday.

All the military are based at Opa Locka except the jump teams. The civilian acts are at Pompano except for the F86 which flies from OPF.

Traffic conflicts with FLL commercial aircraft caused them to look for alternative sites.

Latest resources

Back