Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AdlerDriver

Can't even hold reserve!
The Captain I was flying with last night said he had heard the FAA was going to remove the requirement for donning the mask above FL250 (didn't say anything about above FL410). Anyone else heard this?

AdlerDriver said:
The Captain I was flying with last night said he had heard the FAA was going to remove the requirement for donning the mask above FL250 (didn't say anything about above FL410). Anyone else heard this?

Yes we got a memo to that effect. The change, I gather, will be to mask on above 350. That was were it was years ago.

DC

Last I heard the proposed change was to put the 135 reg in check with the 91 reg and o2 masks would be required above 410 for everyone

DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION

Federal Aviation Administration

14 CFR Part 121

[Docket No.: FAA-2005-22915; Amendment No. 121-317]
RIN 2120-ai65

Supplemental Oxygen

AGENCY: Federal Aviation Administration, DOT.

ACTION: Direct final rule; request for comments.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

SUMMARY: In this direct final rule, the FAA is amending its regulation
on the use of pilot supplemental oxygen. The amendment changes the
flight level at which the remaining pilot at the controls of the
airplane must put on and use his oxygen mask if the other pilot at any
time leaves his control station of the airplane. This amendment revises
that altitude to ``above flight level 350'' from ``above flight level
250.'' It will also eliminate the needless use of oxygen that is not
otherwise required to provide for safety in air carrier operations.
This will reduce needless expenditures to replace oxygen equipment that
is subject to excessive wear and tear.

mike1mc said:
Last I heard the proposed change was to put the 135 reg in check with the 91 reg and o2 masks would be required above 410 for everyone

Looks like a different proposal. The one I listed is a result of the Part 135 ARC that just finished up. Thanks for the info though.

so yeah... i'm still flying a bug beater mooney. you're telling me you guys are always wearing an o2 mask above 250! this is news to me and sounds like quite a hassle... not to mention uncomfortable. do most pilots abide by this reg or is it widely neglected?

soonerpilot625 said:
so yeah... i'm still flying a bug beater mooney. you're telling me you guys are always wearing an o2 mask above 250! this is news to me and sounds like quite a hassle... not to mention uncomfortable. do most pilots abide by this reg or is it widely neglected?

When one pilot leaves his/her station....

soonerpilot625 said:

Naah, I ALWAYS don when my bro' jumps back to the can. That way, I can keep my immune system fully boosted with some choice viruses and bacteria. A communal O2 mask is like a vaccine. ;)

The proposed effective date is 6 Jan 2006. Thus far there are three responses. One is from an FAA employee at a NY FSDO who is adamantly opposed to the change. The other two are from passengers who want the ability to carry supplemental oxygen with them on flights.

You can track this proposal at
http://dms.dot.gov/search/searchFormSimple.cfm
by typing in the docket number 22915.

Latest resources

Back