No IAF?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Anne

I bought MSFS and was setting up a flight into BOS. On the plates for most of the ILS approaches, RADAR REQUIRED is noted, and there is no IAF. I was checking out how the sim worked and didn't plan to do the ATC thing, so I chose another destination instead.

With a radar required approach, I take it we are vectored to final. Is it always the case that there is no IAF?

There are a bunch of pilots here who fly in enough different areas to give you examples, but I'm pretty sure that a "RADAR REQUIRD" approach is not always missing an IAF.

All "Radar Required" means that some segment of an instrument approach procedure is "not navigable because of either the absence or unusability of a NAVAID." (Pilot/Controller Glossary). It might be lack of an IAF, or it may be the lack of a intermediary step down, or some other navaid that would be required for the approach to be performed safely.

Anne,

All four of our ILSs are noted "Radar Reqired" and none have an IAF, (yet). Speaking only for my facility, as far as I can determine, it was always assumed that all arrivals would be vectored to final.

There's been discussion about publishing one IAF for NORDO purposes or some such, but don't know if anything will ever come of it.:confused:

It's possible to have "RADAR REQUIRED" for other things as well... for instance an approach close to / through special use airspace might have the notation, so that ATC can monitor your separation from whatever is going on in the SUA.

As far as NORDO considerations go:

Assuming you're flying modern equipment, with the ability to navigate to a 10-mile final, would you rather do that (say you're coming in from roughly that direction anyway), or come in & fly a PT along the final approach course? At a busy airport, you might be the first one to fly such a PT in a long time, even if it IS what's published on the plate. Which would be more expected by ATC?

Of course, if we're talking about modern aircraft, it might be wise to consider exercising PIC's emergency authority & using a cel phone in flight to get in touch with the local ATC & coodinate your plan with them too!

Happy holidays, Merry Christmas, and cheers!

Snoopy

Latest resources

Back