Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

No Complex Endorsement, But Has Commercial Multi- Is it Valid?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dueguard1

ROTT MAN 4 LIFE!!!
Met a Guy who has A commercial Multi, but never had a Complex Endorsement? Is this odd sounding to anyone? I thought to operate a complex aircraft of any type you would need the Complex Endorsement?..........Mind You 61.129 (b) (3) (ii).........."10 hours training in a multi-engine airplane that has a retractable landing gear, flaps, and a controllable pitch propellers"..........

The rest goes on to say nothing about a complex endorsement....Any Takers?
Bottom Line...Is this Commercial Multi still valid, worst case scenario there's an accident and someone combs through the logbook?

How long ago did he get his HP endorsement? I don't have a complex endorsement either. I forget exactly when the rule changed (somewhere around 1997), but there was a time when the HP endorsement included complex aircraft. If you got your HP before they changed over the rule, you didn't have to go back and get your complex.

Assuming he took his ME checkride in a complex plane, I think he'd be OK. I was given a complex end. before my multi checkride though.
When I got my CE-500 type the examiner said I didn't need a high altitude endorsement becuase the same tasks covered in the endorsement are done during the type ride. Maybe it's the same type of thing, since he demonstrated the items covered in a complex endorsement on the checkride, he doesn't need the endorsement. I don't know for sure though.

bigD said:
How long ago did he get his HP endorsement? I don't have a complex endorsement either. I forget exactly when the rule changed (somewhere around 1997), but there was a time when the HP endorsement included complex aircraft. If you got your HP before they changed over the rule, you didn't have to go back and get your complex.
Yup, it was part of the 1997 Part 61 re-write.

On top of that, the current reg has a grandfather clause: if you logged PIC in a complex airplane before 8/4/97, you don't even need to have had the HP endorsement.

Here is another way you could do it. Military. You take the Military Competency test after pilot training and you end up with a Commercial Multi Instrument rating. You would not have an endorsement. When I did my ATP in 1988 I had the CFI add the endorsement even though I had over 1000 hours PIC in Turbojet and turboprop aircraft.

Nope, dosent sound one bit odd to me.

Latest resources

Back