• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

No college success story

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The 2007 hiring binge will be in corrections...because of recent furloughs of police officers and a downturn in the economy, prisons, probation, parole and eventually law enforcement will be hiring in droves. Unfortunately, privatization of prisons will bring about a race to the bottom and pay for training, but there will be hiring in 2007.

You're kidding, right?

Please don't confuse an "on-line degree" with a "four year degree". We all criticize PFT (for good reason, obviously) yet online degree's are nothing short of PFD (a.k.a "Pay For Degree"). The traditional, accredited four-year degree actually involves self-discipline in managing a semester load of classes, and studying one's A@@ off in order to, eventually, graduate (which is an earned privelege, and by no means a given). I can't say I've ever heard of anyone "dropping out" from online college? On the contrary, an online degree involves nothing more than clicking "ready to take test" on your computer, and simply flipping through the textbook in order to find the answers. In other words, online degrees are nothing short of an open-book test (and, seriously, how difficult is that?). Kind of reminds me of cheating, personally.

In lieu of this, anyone with an online degree is hereby excluded from EVER discussing "lowering the bar" in this industry, or standing on their soapbox pounding their chest that they earned their way to a job via the "traditional" route. But, don't worry, Sally Struthers would be SO proud of that Dell University degree hanging on your wall! And, oh yeah, you're a "college graduate" too (snicker)

The TRUTH hurts!

A couple of thoughts.

I'm currently enrolled in an online degree from ERAU. I think that an online degree from an acredited school is just as tough as attending classes. I don't just get to focus on going to classes with an online degree. I am trying to balance life, work and a degree. At night after a long day on the road I have to force myself to read my book and get my answer the questions that the instructor poses on the message board. If I don' answer them i lose credit that simple. I just took my final in one class that I had to sit down and have my protector sign too. No books or anything. just like a normal classroom.

When i was in college all i had to do was show up take a few classes drink a bunch of beers and have the teacher spoon feed me the info. With online classes i'm the teacher and also the student. I have to figure out what the teacher is trying to make me understand by constantly checking the message board and seeing what they are posting.

A college degree is essential. I'm currently being held back because i don't have a degree. (damn fedex college degree requirement). I need to get this degree so i can move forward.

So don't try to dimish what i do everyday because i'm not drinking and hanging out with my fraternity brothers. (yes i'm a brother) I am juggling a full time job, a wife and a teacher that wants no excuses.

The Truth said:
Please don't confuse an "on-line degree" with a "four year degree". We all criticize PFT (for good reason, obviously) yet online degree's are nothing short of PFD (a.k.a "Pay For Degree"). The traditional, accredited four-year degree actually involves self-discipline in managing a semester load of classes, and studying one's A@@ off in order to, eventually, graduate (which is an earned privelege, and by no means a given). I can't say I've ever heard of anyone "dropping out" from online college? On the contrary, an online degree involves nothing more than clicking "ready to take test" on your computer, and simply flipping through the textbook in order to find the answers. In other words, online degrees are nothing short of an open-book test (and, seriously, how difficult is that?). Kind of reminds me of cheating, personally.

In lieu of this, anyone with an online degree is hereby excluded from EVER discussing "lowering the bar" in this industry, or standing on their soapbox pounding their chest that they earned their way to a job via the "traditional" route. But, don't worry, Sally Struthers would be SO proud of that Dell University degree hanging on your wall! And, oh yeah, you're a "college graduate" too (snicker)

The TRUTH hurts!
I'm guessing your degree was not in English. :)

I believe you underestimate the difficulty and the value of On-Line courses. In order to be accredited, they must meet certain standards.

If I had the misfortune of meeting Sally Struuthers at my front door, she would not be invited inside to look at any of my walls. Besides, my plaque is in a box in the closet.

Snicker at that of which you have no knowledge and you only embarrass yourself. ;)

Back to basic

Back to the basics, if you are getting the degree to check a box on an application, it does not matter where it comes from or how you got it. For DA Capt good to hear from you again kinda like the old days, however you are off base, look at the hiring going on right now and it is not at the ratty cargo level. There is a pilot skill shortage developing on the entry level, the 2007 hiring boom is on track and in 21 months one will shown as being correct. If you are right the flying business is in trouble, if I am right the good times will be back.

Last edited:
wrong button

tony i'm cringing when you proof read my post.

It's been a long day and if i read one more page i'm going to throw my textbook against the wall.

A lot of the online classes I had required that the tests be administered by a proctor. I'll admit going in residence is different than attending online but getting a degree online still requires a lot of work.

pilotyip said:
There is a pilot skill shortage developing on the entry level.

Pilotyip, that is exactly where an individual will stay in aviation without a degree, THE ENTRY LEVEL. I hate to bust your bubble but the story of your "airline pilot" with-out a degree really is not that impressive. My question is why are you so adamant about it? Did you not manage to finish college? Is this personal resentment of your own shortcomings? What gives? Doesn't make a lot of sense. I have been flying around in this biz for awhile now, and you are the only person I have heard who "preaches" not to get a degree. I almost think your doing it to get a rise out of people.

Latest resources

Back