Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
LJ-ABX said:
SWA does not deactivate the autobrakes.

....but I bet they deactivate the overspeed clacker! I've never heard a WN crew get busted on the radio like I've heard other carriers.

LJ-ABX said:
SWA does not deactivate the autobrakes. I saw them being used when I rode jumpseat in one of their 737-700s. They did have Boeing remove the autothrottles and VNAV mode on the autoflight.

According to this, they are not used

http://www.ntsb.gov/publictn/2002/AAB0204.htm

see under "Airplane Information"

this article, somewhat related, discusses the approach towards automation

http://www.aviationtoday.com/reports/southwest.htm

DISCLAIMER: Lets let the NTSB and FAA do its job before we point fingers

later

Say Again Over said:
You can also thank SWA for the 727 style upper panel.:(

Since the 737 was certified in 1967, and SWA didn't start flying until 1973-ish, perhaps you could 'splain whatchoo mean.

ATRedneck said:
Since the 737 was certified in 1967, and SWA didn't start flying until 1973-ish, perhaps you could 'splain whatchoo mean.

I think he means that the "New Generation" 737s kept the old -200 overhead panel because SWA asked Boeing to keep things "standardized." That's the lore anyway; don't know how accurate it is.

ATRedneck said:

Boeing wanted to certify the 737NG as a new type--SWA persuaded them through market forces to reconsider that idea.

Similarly, the 757/767 commonality is because of DL--Boeing just wanted to make the 767 and improve the 727-200ADV.

LJ-ABX said:
SWA does not deactivate the autobrakes. I saw them being used when I rode jumpseat in one of their 737-700s. They did have Boeing remove the autothrottles and VNAV mode on the autoflight.
RTO Autobrakes are currently used. Autobrakes for landing is being added.

satpak77 said:
According to this, they are not use

They were used on the landing when I was in the jumpseat landing in snow at PIT a couple of months ago.

I can believe that they don't routinely use them on dry runways of adequate length but they certainly can, and do, use them at the Captain's discretion.

Latest resources

Back