• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FDJ2

Southwest CEO: Jet In Accident Had No Mechanical Problems

DOW JONES NEWSWIRES
December 9, 2005 9:39 a.m.

--

DALLAS (AP)--The Southwest Airlines (LUV) jet that skidded off a Chicago Midway Airport runway and into a busy intersection showed no mechanical problems the day before the accident, Chief Executive Gary Kelly said Friday.

Kelly told reporters at the airline's Dallas headquarters it's still too early to comment on possible causes of the accident.

The CEO also said that the flight arriving in Chicago last night from Baltimore was the first of the day for the flight crew.

The Boeing 737 was landing in a snowstorm when it skidded off a runway and into a busy Chicago intersection last night. It hit one vehicle and pinned another beneath it, killing a six-year-old boy.

Kelly said the aircraft features an automatic braking system that Southwest prefers its pilots not use. He says Southwest prefers its pilots to slow aircraft manually during landings.

It was the first fatal accident involving a Southwest flight in the carrier's 35-year history. Kelly said 16 people - including two aboard the aircraft - were injured in the accident, and that 13 of those have been treated at Chicago hospitals and released.

I'm surprised the plane even had it. I was under the impression that SWA deactivates the autobrakes just like they do the autothrottles.

PCL_128 said:
I'm surprised the plane even had it. I was under the impression that SWA deactivates the autobrakes just like they do the autothrottles.

Whats the benefits of deactivating them, and how do those systems function normally when activated.

NYCPilot said:
Whats the benefits of deactivating them, and how do those systems function normally when activated.

I would guess that the benefit is reduced maintenance costs, but I'm not sure. You'll have to ask the Boeing drivers about how they work. They don't let us RJ drivers have all those fancy toys. :)

Generally speaking, Boeing recommends an Autobrakes 2 setting for a normal landing. This provides a comfortable steady state deceleration that is sensed by the IRU’s and will modulate the braking according to the amount of reverse used in combination with the brake setting. Carbon brakes last longer with one steady application of brake pressure as opposed to cycling or pumping of the brakes. Don’t have a clue as to what type of brakes SWA has on their fleet, but if I were a betting man, I would guess Carbon would be the preferred choice. All the above info applies to the B757/767/777. I would imagine it is the same on the B737NG as well, but I have been wrong before.

NYCPilot said:

If they're deactivated, they don't need to be maintained. As for how they work...

...you typically have three landing settings and a takeoff or RTO postition.

In the Takeoff or RTO position (different manufactures label differently) when several conditions are met during take off...such as a minimum ground speed and a minimum thrust lever angle, upon aborting the takeoff, the auto brakes will automatically be applied and at a maximum effort.

AB's work similar in the landing mode. Three settings 1, 2, or 3...or min, med or max, again, depending up on the manufacture....

...upon landing, when certain conditions are met, such as nose-wheel spin up, the autobrakes will automatically be appiled at the level selected.

And at a certain speed, upon manually applying the brakes, the AB's are automatically disarmed.

The work really good and can to wonders to reduce takeoff and landing field lenghts.

PCL_128 said:

I'm amazed... is this true? Autothrottles and autobrakes work VERY well on the B737-800. What about RTO? The automatic system is far quicker and more aggressive than human reaction time.

If I was preparing to land on 6500 feet, bad vis on a winter day, with possibly poor braking, those autobrakes would be set MAX.

SWA does not deactivate the autobrakes. I saw them being used when I rode jumpseat in one of their 737-700s. They did have Boeing remove the autothrottles and VNAV mode on the autoflight.

Latest resources

Back