Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RustyFan

Ladies and Gentlemen,

In the very near future, we hope to publish our latest Q&A with some exciting developments. Many positive steps have been made concerning the GPAC effort and what it can do in bringing forward the voice of NJI line pilots. We are very pleased about the potential this effort brings us all.
From the beginning it has been our desire for GPAC to succeed because the line pilots wanted it, not just a small group. For this reason, the key organizers wanted to play as little a role as possible. This effort is "ours" as it will be what we want it too. GPAC will not be four selected people, but four elected people. As it stands today, we have had over 120 requests for information and over 60 pilots register. The deadline for registration and nominations is being extended to allow more discussions within our group and allow everyone an opportunity to read the GPAC outline.

We ask all of you do the following:

• Spread the word and forward all the emails we have sent to everyone you know at NJI. We cannot go forward with a strong voice with less than half of our pilots behind GPAC. Lets show our collective voice by supporting a legimate effort to engage in this process. You cant vote if you dont register. GPAC has to be legitimate, and it must be formed honestly. If we do this properly, we will be received so.
  • Discuss with one another who among us is best suited for this committee. Buddy's, friends, good guys and likeable people only fill half the role. We will need to elect solid, honest, fair and forthright members of our pilot group that will carry our concerns forward without making hasty or rash decisions or comments. This is a democratic effort, and we need to send the best people forward.
  • If you have questions, ask them. Dont allow fellow pilots to spread rumors or thoughts that have no legal bases. If you or another pilot is concerned about something involving GPAC, speak up! You will receive a legitimate answer.
Thank you all for your time and effort in making GPAC possible. The ball is rolling, lets get it across the finish line.

Best regards, fly safe!

Make it happen at [email protected]

TO ALL NJA PILOTS WHO CROSSED OVER TO NJI:

PLEASE REGISTER!

This is not another union movement, nor an effort to derail the LOA. You too can participate in this effort, and it would actually benefit GPAC to have your voice included. There are over 30 of you guys out there, get involved please.

[email protected]

Here goes nothin'

I have thus far avoided addressing this topic because I hadn't seen both e-mails yet and I wanted to get a better handle on GPAC's goals. I also wanted to speak with a few fellow line pilots and some of my NJASAP connections.

A few thoughts:

I understand fully the concerns of many NJI pilots, especially junior F/O's regarding the pending integration and the impact on their upgrade.

I also know some NJI pilots are concerned about the negotiations between NJASAP and NJI management about how the Collective Bargaining Agreement will be applied at NJI.

But I also know that, regardless of how GPAC representatives are selected, they would have no legal standing in the eyes of the NLRB and neither the company, nor NJASAP would be obliged to allow them a voice in the negotiations. The terms of the LOA provide many valuable protections to the NJI pilot group and, in my opinion, another input from a group purporting to represent the NJI pilots can only muddy the waters. How would the four representatives decide which concerns were the most important? Would they conduct a Wilson Poll? Who would pay for it? Whose agenda are they promoting?

The fact that fewer than 1/5th of the NJI pilot group have "registered" with the GPAC organizers indicates most of the pilot group recognize what the future holds and trust the representatives of NJASAP and the company to complete the integration in a manner that is fair to all concerned. Regardless of how long the "registration" period is extended, I doubt more than 1/3rd of the group will join this effort.

Although there are some gray areas in the LOA that will need to be clarified, I believe that any portion of the contract that has a financial impact on the membership (overtime, STD, LTD, sick time, etc) will be fully implemented at NJI. The major question mark continues to be the upgrade opportunities within the fleet for current first officers. Once the final integration notice is signed (sometime in the next two years and 11 days), future G-IV PIC positions will be filled by system-wide seniority. Any NJI First Officers will remain in the right seat until they choose to bid Captain on another aircraft that their integrated seniority position will allow them to hold. It isn't what the company told them, and it sucks for them, but the NJASAP integration committee will never allow 30 or 40 pilots to benefit at the expense of a group of 3000.

The major complaint from the pilot group at NJI seems to be the complete lack of information regarding the process coming from Okatie management. Part of the problem has been that nothing has really happened yet and there was nothing to report. The process couldn't start until NJASAP completed the election of their new leadership. Now that the election is over, integration is the front-burner issue at NJASAP.

Sometime soon, reportedly by the end of the year, a new website will be on-line to help answer questions from the NJI pilot group. Until NJI pilots become members of the union and begin paying dues, they cannot access the NJASAP website. So the new site will be a secure, password-protected site where NJI pilots can learn about the contract, the NJASAP union, its bylaws, the services it offers members, and progress reports on the integration. Only NJASAP Board members, Trustees, Shop Stewards, and contract experts from NJA will have access to answer NJI pilot questions.

The integration process will be lengthy and no doubt full of challenges and probably a few surprises. Please understand I am not discouraging anyone from joining GPAC if they believe it is a way for them to somehow have a voice in the process. I prefer to watch, wait, stay informed, and voice my concerns directly to the people involved in the process.

gutshotdraw;1710531 I prefer to watch said:
Sitting in the stands will never gain you access to the end zone.

I don't believe some NJI pilots see the big picture here... you are going into a union, period. Who is going to speak for you in this process? Your group leader? Your C.P.? The President?

The sooner we engage NJASAP, the smoother this will go. I don't have the numbers, but I'll bet GPAC will gather 50% + 1.

GF,

I think you and the other GPAC organizers have failed to realize the game is already over and it won't be getting further review. The notion that GPAC's presence will make things smoother is, I think, wishful thinking. There will be an infrastructure in place to keep NJI pilots informed but it will be coming from NJASAP.

The sooner we engage NJASAP, the smoother this will go. I don't have the numbers, but I'll bet GPAC will gather 50% + 1.

I agree, engaging NJASAP will only help matters... if done in the right forum (this isn't it).

GF... Where did you get those numbers? I think it will need to be much higher than 50+1.

PS.

Guts... The NLRB has no jurisdiction over the CBA that covers NetJets pilots, that would be the NMB. Totally different set of rules. I'm not busting your chops, but I can tell from your post and many previous ones that you've never been in a pilots union before. I'd read "Flying the Line", thats a good place to start. Understanding the governments position in all this and "who" the government sends to oversee these little contracts is paramount to understanding your new life. You take the middle of the road approach to most everything, and thats cool because so does the government... most of the time.

I think everyone should just have an ice cold beer tomorrow and watch a little football. This issue will work its way out, I'm not concerned.

WPP

And the NMB won't let GPAC in the room either because they won't be a duly elected bargaining agent. That process takes months/years. And although I've never paid union dues, my decidely better half did for more than 11 years and has the strike pin on her wings. I've had a front row seat for more union stuff than you can imagine; ALPA, IBT and now NJASAP. I know this process will work itself out. That is my point. In my opinion, GPAC can only complicate matters.

I think the union is very open to having GPAC's voice at the table representing the unique challenges of NJI pilots along with the NJA/NJI crossover pilots such as myself.

Unless you've done both jobs I don't think people really understand the good and the bad with each company.

NJASAP has embraced the idea and process of the GPAC crew. They want them at the table as an asset with local knowledge. NJI management was upset when they heard about them, why??? When GPAC is sitting at the talks, at the very least the NJI pilot will be informed by someone who was elected to be there. The NJI pilot will then hear the whole truth about what NJI management is trying to negotiate out of. I bet it is going to cost NJI 15k to 20k per pilot to accept the union work rules. Tell me you don't think they will try to avoid the additional costs by saying anything. Wouldn't you like a raise of 15k to 20k per year?? Why do you think all the Group Leader notes and everything else released by NJI in the last two years stink of a lawyer responding to your questions???? A lot of words and no real answers. IF you want the truth, help the GPAC continue!

Latest resources

Back