Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
gunfyter said:
I think an is correct. Sounds better.
If SES was actually a word, an would be acceptable. However, SES is not a word, it's shorthand for "Senior Executive Service". So, saying "an SES" is the same as saying "an Senior Executive Service".

So this has turned into the grammar sidebar.

I think both gunfyter and transpac are correct. As stated above, an is used before a noun. Skygirl's original comment was in jargon (the technical terminology or characteristic idiom of a special activity or group).

SkyGirl said:
I have been an SES for the last five years.

A less jargonistic sentence would have been:

I have been an officer in the Senior Executive Service for the last five years.
Let's all go back to flying.

transpac said:
Silly me! I would have thought a real SES would have known that the title is referred to as A SES, not AN SES. That's a misuse of the word AN. You must be a Schedule C political apointee. (Or maybe a B.S.'er.)

Schedule C appointees are part of the "Excepted Service" and are specifically excepted from the competitive service or the Senior Executive Service by statute, the President, or the OPM. Noncareer appointments in the SES are the rough equivalent.

_SkyGirl_

Does this mean I get to list my degrees and my published appellate opinions? They're not prominent in my thoughts when I'm flying a 200 and a half ILS, anyway. Hey, this is an aviation forum. SkyGirl might be a nice person and a highly qualified Senior Executive Secretary or Senior Executive Something (SES)--or not--but is this really the place? Couldn't resist. Bye.

I hear you Lawfly. Can't we get back to the eeeeeviiiillllll non-union shop bashing?

Jeez. My other great timesuck is a readers' and writers' forum; I have never seen such a picayune dustup over grammar, punctuation, and usage there as I just read in this thread. I think this thread also takes the prize for Most Irrelevant Total Hijack.

Cool!

BTW, the plural of ellipsis is ellipses.

Latest resources

Back