• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NJI and NJA Merger Official

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
:) My 2cents says that if the NJA boys send the truckers packing, there should be no reason why a in-house group(union)would not go over BIG with the NJI group

Hey DD
I am curious as to if this is really an option. I am not familiar with union stuff, but how easy is it for NJA to vote them out and start an in house union? I was told that it takes a majority vote to get a union in, but 100% vote to remove them.....kinda like a mother-in-law coming to stay with you because your wife said it was so, but she isn't leaving until you both kick her out.

I can't imagine that a handful of workers could stop the plans of a majority. That doesn't seem fair, but I wouldn't be surprised if a two-thirds majority was required. I'm sure those interested will do the research and follow all of the rules if de-certification of the Teamsters is supported by the NJA pilots. A long period free of labor strife would be good timing for the establishment of an in-house union.

Can someone please post the pay scales for NJA cross overs in G aircraft after this LOA goes into effect? (if you tell me to hit the search button FlyLow I'm kicking your *ss)

I must apologize, I've been preoccupied with other things to much to focus on this never ending topic. But I think GSD and I share the same view... for the most part.

Devil is in the details... and only time will tell how things will or will not workout.

Hey DD
I am curious as to if this is really an option. I am not familiar with union stuff, but how easy is it for NJA to vote them out and start an in house union? I was told that it takes a majority vote to get a union in, but 100% vote to remove them.....kinda like a mother-in-law coming to stay with you because your wife said it was so, but she isn't leaving until you both kick her out.

A little history lesson might be in order, when the SU group took over from the old Fab 5, the IBT got on the wagon. Part of the SU platform was, out of 284 and/or the IBT if necessary.
The international got on board, but they had and have their own agenda.
The 2005 CBA set the merger in motion and it appears the 2007 TA has all but sealed the integration of NJA and NJI.
So, it really doesn't matter what the status of the IBT is in the future with regard to the integration will proceed as laid out in the recent LOA.
Can we live without the IBT, yes and we would be in better financial shape without them going forward.
First things first. Let's see how the IBB vote goes on 11-20.

One other quick note to add. If our operation system is shut down (Okatie that is) and we have to deal with CMH... This double rated G pilot will most likely look for other employment.

This statement has nothing to do with unions or NJA pilots, and everything to do with our operations people. They are far far superior to CMH, most were hand picked and plucked from that side anyway... they are a pleasure to work with, and that better never change.

We have schedulers with MA's in Aviation Management (of course they are working their way up the ladder)! Our daily contact with the company is completely different than that of the A side operation. No airport standby, no hanging out at the FBO's, no middle man, etc etc.

Wolf -- it'd be an integration, which is a two-way street. With that in mind, it'd be nice to see that aspect of NJI's culture spread over to this side, not vice-versa!

One other quick note to add. If our operation system is shut down (Okatie that is) and we have to deal with CMH... This double rated G pilot will most likely look for other employment.

This statement has nothing to do with unions or NJA pilots, and everything to do with our operations people. They are far far superior to CMH, most were hand picked and plucked from that side anyway... they are a pleasure to work with, and that better never change.

We have schedulers with MA's in Aviation Management (of course they are working their way up the ladder)! Our daily contact with the company is completely different than that of the A side operation. No airport standby, no hanging out at the FBO's, no middle man, etc etc.

I'm sure that our senior guys lament the days when they could call the schedulers and chat, it's a growth and numbers game. Hell, even when I showed up, 7 years ago, a pizza delivery went a long way.
Times change and flight manager in CMH is an entry level position.

Just a quick reminder, NJA pilots were promised that NJI was going to be part of their group many years ago. NJI pilots were promised that there would NEVER be a union on property or that NJI would NEVER fold into NJA. NJA pilots were upset about the many empty promises and now, NJI pilots are pissed that they were lied to. The working environment is much more relaxed, responsive and respectful in Okatie than CMH. Would you want to loose that? NJI Management will always take time to listen, offer suggestions and try to help you, not screw you. Would you want to loose that? How often have you been apprehensive about the unknown or undertaking of a big step in your life?

Now, I will respectfully point out the money thing again. First year Capt. At NJI which is about year number 3 or 4 in service is 110K. NJA year 3 pay for over 40,000lb is 93,732. RTS has a goal to get NJA to fly the Gulfstreams cheaper. Don’t ever believe RTS isn’t doing this for gain. Large corporations lie to their stockholders, employees, management and customers. Don’t ever believe that this is a gift or that you or your union earned it. There is any underlying reason. This is a good deal for RTS, with a deal in-place that will lock everyone up for the next 8 years means that a stable labor force is very attractive to any prospective buyers. (speculation not fact)

On a last note, it is impossible to make everyone happy. Not you, me, RTS or the union is going to make everbody peaceful, content or even slightly happy. The deal before us is to the benefit of RTS, but, it also seems to keep all involved thinking it is a good deal for them. No one can guarantee that this deal is going to be great, or how it really is going to effect us and our families. Lets give it a try, if it doesn’t work, lets get in to the catering business for aircraft…….

Now, I will respectfully point out the money thing again. First year Capt. At NJI which is about year number 3 or 4 in service is 110K. NJA year 3 pay for over 40,000lb is 93,732. RTS has a goal to get NJA to fly the Gulfstreams cheaper. Don’t ever believe RTS isn’t doing this for gain.

And the odds of a year-3 NJA pilot flying a Gulfstream as captain would be........

First year Capt. At NJI which is about year number 3 or 4 in service is 110K. NJA year 3 pay for over 40,000lb is 93,732.

The figure you provide for Year 3/CAPT at NJA is correct. As was somewhat alluded to in a subsequent post, assuming that a merger takes place, YR3 Captain on a Gulfstream is not likely. It would take a period of several years for everything to "shake out" in terms of equipment/seat position, relative to overall seniority. After the initial shake out, the Gulfstream awards will go much senior (stating the obvious I know).

Granted, I do not know what the NJI payscales look like....but my guess is that the NJA wages are less than NJI in the earlier years (say YR 1 to YR 5) then cross in later years (say, YR 10+) -- meaning the NJA pay might be higher than NJI in the later years (when, again, most captains will see a Gulfstream award). Just a wild-*ss guess on my part.

Also worth mentioning, the 18-day fixed schedule at NJA pays $114,025 at YR 3 CAPT (for a/c greater than 40,000 LBS). I'm not sure how (or if) this figure compares to a similar reserve schedule at NJI. YEAR 10 CAPT (18-D) pays $145,072. YEAR 17 CAPT (18-D) pays $187,260.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back