• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NJA TA...What's your bet?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Grumpy, I noticed that you used the rolling-eyes smiley to indicate your frustration, sarcasm, etc. Likewise, I prefaced my statements with the winking-eye smiley (which I use frequently) to indicate that I am teasing. If you'll notice, I also make liberal use of the pink smiley face. Too bad there isn't a "tongue-in-cheek" which would be even better. Yes, I was using very broad generalizations, but it was done half in jest, and I was relying on the board members to "read" the appropriate mood indicated. I do believe that the proposal offers the advantages I listed, but I also realize that pilots reading the entire document may still decide they prefer the CBA and don't mind taking a chance in 2010.

I believe the vast majority will put a lot of thought into weighing the options--regardless of their ultimate decision. Having an open mind means that you considered both sides of an issue. It is not exclusive to one viewpoint and neither is appreciation. I have read the posts which thank the IBB team for their hard work and dedication. They came from yes voters, no voters and those still undecided. I enjoyed reading every one of them, regardless of the poster's viewpoint.

Like others, I've been pleased that many more people have been on the NJ board lately reading and/or debating a proposal which could affect all of us. For awhile there, things were so quiet that I was concerned the pilot group was complacent and in danger of becoming apathetic again. Hence the sleeping analogy. (Seriously) It is good to see many re-engaging--regardless of how they vote. (Those who don't appreciate my brand of wit should stop here).

I would like to see the proposal pass, so naturally ;) I'm going to suggest that those tuning back in should vote yes...:p May the best recruiter win...:D

The funny thing is, the most avid yes-voters on our union board are the ones who most obviously have not read the whole proposal. Most of them read 13 and 27 and decided, "Yep, good enough for me!" :rolleyes: Oh yeah, open-minded all right.

It hasn't been obvious to me. I give people the benefit of the doubt until they give me just cause not to. I also realize they there is a broad range of comprehension and a person can report --truthfully--that they read the entire document yet still miss something, get it wrong, etc Some retain information well, others don't-- so honest mistakes can happen.

I think it is possible that the badly underpaid pilots (as the FOs still are) are so in need of the pay raise that they had already resigned themselves to compromising, if need be, on issues like scheduling and PTO. They know that SU wouldn't cave in on critical things like scope and health benefits so they may feel comfortable following the lead of the EBoard, MEC, and IBB negotiators that have unanimously endorsed the proposal. That said, I think it's presumptuous to assume that pilots didn't read all of the document just because they discuss the sections that affect them the most in a personal way. After all, the proposal just got mailed out so they have plenty of time still to read every word before they mark the ballot.

UG, just because you go by the name of Grump, doesn't mean you always have to act like one...:p

It really is interesting how you paint people here, NJW. If one casts his vote in favor of the proposal, he is "awakened?" So if he votes no, he is what? Ignorant? Asleep? If he votes yes, he has an open mind. If he votes no, he is close-minded? Interesting.

The funny thing is, the most avid yes-voters on our union board are the ones who most obviously have not read the whole proposal. Most of them read 13 and 27 and decided, "Yep, good enough for me!" :rolleyes: Oh yeah, open-minded all right.

No sarcasm intended. I asume you are voting no. I am very curious which areas are swaying your vote. I have read the IBB but would like to go over areas that others are having issue with to make sure I didn't miss something. Thanks

After all, the proposal just got mailed out so they have plenty of time still to read every word before they mark the ballot.
That's another funny thing. We'll get the ballots before we get the proposal, and LONG before we get the interpretive transcripts. I'd be willing to bet that there are a LOT of folks who will mark and mail their ballots before they have all the documents required to make a truly informed decision. And that applies to both yes and no voters.

No sarcasm intended. I asume you are voting no. I am very curious which areas are swaying your vote. I have read the IBB but would like to go over areas that others are having issue with to make sure I didn't miss something. Thanks
You assume wrong. I am currently undecided. My biggest issue is with the duration, along with numerous smaller issues. But I, unlike many, am waiting to read ALL the documents before making my final decision.

That's another funny thing. We'll get the ballots before we get the proposal, and LONG before we get the interpretive transcripts. I'd be willing to bet that there are a LOT of folks who will mark and mail their ballots before they have all the documents required to make a truly informed decision. And that applies to both yes and no voters.

Talk about a rush to vote, the transition language isn't finished, transcipts aren't finished, You have to ask yourself??????What's the hurry???????Holiday season, peace amoung the pilot group 92% like the contract we have, says the survey. Everyone is so eager to wrap this up, why, why isn't everything done if the company is so happy????? What am I missing?

Maybe we need to delay this vote until after the holidays, be sure things are right.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back