• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NJA TA for new FO's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Here's a not entirely theoretical question. Suppose I was going to interview with NetJets in mid-November, and was offered the job just prior to the vote on the new TA. I wouldn't have started training yet, but would I be considered 'hired' prior to the implementation of the new TA (assuming it passes). It's not a huge issue for me as far as domicile/HBA, as I plan on moving to CMH after getting out of the military, anyways. It would be more an issue of whether I'd get the 7-on-7-off schedule. Just wondering.

gobucks said:
...It's not a huge issue for me as far as domicile/HBA, as I plan on moving to CMH after getting out of the military, anyways. ...

First, Thank you Nightmare67 for your responses. With great disappointment, I am unable to apply to NJA because I am bound to the MSP area for at least 2-3 years.

Second, gobucks- I think you might be overlooking one small detail - the company picks your domicile, not you. Maybe after you have been there a while, you have a say? Or maybe it would be completely unreasonable to interview an applicant who lists their residence in CMH, and then say that there domicile will be Dallas, for example.

Best of luck to all you NJA-ers. I was hoping to leave the instable regional environment for a career with great promise. Hiring up to 2300 pilots in the next few years? Shoot, that's got great growth and potential written all over it. Heck how many majors have that many pilots these days???

Peace!
TH

Last edited:
Terry,

Take the interview. Whats the worst that can happen? It wont cost you anything...you will get a feel of the place and when they offer you the job, NEGOTIATE!

If they want you, they'll play. Alittle.

Good luck.

With the growth they want (they want another 200 pilots in the next couple years) it will be difficult to maintain that domicile system. Sooner or later I think they'll open home basing to everyone. But I'd recommend getting in fast.

acaTerry -

I think your numbers are a little low. They needed another 200-300 this year alone. I know they aren't going to make it but that was their projection earlier this year. They needed a net gain of 400-500 pilots. So far, they've gotten a net gain of 200.

Man NJ sounds like a great company to work for. I've got several more years ahead of me before I meet the experience requirments but it's something to shoot for. Im just trying to get multi time period. Good luck to you guys. Hopefully it will still be a great place to work in a few years.

Twotter76 said:
I am not clear on when exactly you would qualify as a new hire to use the hba. I get that as a newhire I would be stuck with the 5 cities but when could I transition to the hba agreement or is it not possible? Can someone clarify this for me - I have been holding on to the app for the last 6 months and will send it in tomorrow if I can be based in DEN. I don't suppose it is realistic to be on propetry before ratification if you haven't interviewed yet (did get the app though)?

All pilots on the seniority at the date of ratification will qualify to use the HBA. The only way a pilot grandfathered into the HBA program would lose his/her rights to the HBA program is if he/she moves to a domicile and accepts reimbursement from the company for that move. If you move on your own dime, you still retain rights to HBA, should you decide to move again at a later date.

I'm not certain how quickly it is nowadays from application to interview to first day of employment. But every day one delays is one more day towards that all-important vote count. I do know that last fall, some of my coworkers at my former employer were faxing resumes and finding themselves in class in about a month, sometimes a bit less.

Last edited:
Guitar Guy said:
I do know that last fall, some of my coworkers at my former employer were faxing resumes and finding themselves in class in about a month, sometimes a bit less.

It happens just that fast and sometimes faster.

HD

gobucks said:
Here's a not entirely theoretical question. Suppose I was going to interview with NetJets in mid-November, and was offered the job just prior to the vote on the new TA. I wouldn't have started training yet, but would I be considered 'hired' prior to the implementation of the new TA (assuming it passes). It's not a huge issue for me as far as domicile/HBA, as I plan on moving to CMH after getting out of the military, anyways. It would be more an issue of whether I'd get the 7-on-7-off schedule. Just wondering.
Your date of hire is the first day of company training. I'd interview sooner, if possible.

Nightmare67 said:
Terry,

Take the interview. Whats the worst that can happen? It wont cost you anything...you will get a feel of the place and when they offer you the job, NEGOTIATE!

If they want you, they'll play. Alittle.
That's a great point. Go interview, and when they offer you the job with XYZ domicile, tell them "Oh, I'd love to take the job but I live in MSP. Sorry." You never know, you might get a call back sooner than you think. If a large number of interviewees did this, it might wake them up to the fallacy of their domiciles for new-hires.

Ultra Grump said:
That's a great point. Go interview, and when they offer you the job with XYZ domicile, tell them "Oh, I'd love to take the job but I live in MSP. Sorry." You never know, you might get a call back sooner than you think. If a large number of interviewees did this, it might wake them up to the fallacy of their domiciles for new-hires.

I can't see how the company is going to be able to fill classes if they only offer five gateways to new hires. For pete's sake, they didn't even include MDW...

Like others have stated, wait about 18 months or sooner and that should change.

HD

Latest resources

Back