• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NJA TA for new FO's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am not clear on when exactly you would qualify as a new hire to use the hba. I get that as a newhire I would be stuck with the 5 cities but when could I transition to the hba agreement or is it not possible? Can someone clarify this for me - I have been holding on to the app for the last 6 months and will send it in tomorrow if I can be based in DEN. I don't suppose it is realistic to be on propetry before ratification if you haven't interviewed yet (did get the app though)?

Terry Hunter said:
Yes, this is a good start, thank you for your response.

This sounds similar to commuting for a regional job, however with a regional, I can use passes for standby travel on a multitude of airlines, and also Jumpseat. Are these options that you have? Because other than moving, the only way one could commute is to buy full fare tickets.

Orbitz, here I come, ahha.

The short answer is No. Some of our guys have had limited success jumpseating with SWA and ATA. I would not count on it though. If you really are considering commuting on your own dime, Id say forget it! We get shows well before 0500. You'd be spending a lot of cash on tickets and hotels. What if your home on your last day off and at 1800 get a brief to show at the FBO at 0400?
Good luck Brother

Twotter76 said:
I am not clear on when exactly you would qualify as a new hire to use the hba. I get that as a newhire I would be stuck with the 5 cities but when could I transition to the hba agreement or is it not possible? Can someone clarify this for me - I have been holding on to the app for the last 6 months and will send it in tomorrow if I can be based in DEN. I don't suppose it is realistic to be on property before ratification if you haven't interviewed yet (did get the app though)?

As far as I know...the info on when you would become eligible for HBA is not out yet.

If you have a friend at NutJets, you might have a chance at an interview and offer prior to ratification...that is, if the company is even considering interviewing prior to that date. You see, the company is CONVINCED that pilots at the five RCA is the answer to all their problems. They would rather wait and stick you at an RCA.

Probably not what you wan to hear but I think its pretty accurate.

Nightmare67 said:
If you don't like the domiciles a company has and/or are unwilling to commute to those domiciles, DON'T APPLY!

Is it that difficult to understand?

Our negotiating group didn't spend our bargaining dollars on this because its not our problem.
And there, ladies and gentlemen, is all the information you need.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why you think the way you do.

The vast MAJORITY of pilots in ANY portion of this industry will NEVER negotiate for the FUTURE... only the PRESENT employees' bottom line; this is how it's always been; this is how it will always be, and why the industry continues to spiral downward.

Its management's problem. When they see that raising the 1st year pay, removing the training contracts and equipment locks was not enough to entice people to come here, they will change the domicile policy.
Unlikely. Flexjet has proven that hub basing in a few specific domiciles saves hundreds of thousands of $$$ each and every year over a home-based system. Believe me, I went to work for Flexjet back when it WAS a home-based system and, through a friend in management, read the financials as they changed the system.

No mattery how hard it becomes to hire quality personnel, with NWA and DAL about to furlough hundreds and thousands more with 1,500 to 2,000 total time coming up the ranks, the hundreds of thousands of dollars saved will NOT override any hiring concerns.

It's too bad really, many extremely qualified and talented people would be willing to come your way. I find it "interesting" how many of your senior Captains complain about "disgruntled" airline personnel that are hired yet, as someone else already deduced, your negotiating committee just set up the next generation of "disgruntled pilots", forced to move somewhere they didn't want to rather than face the option of having no job.

Good luck - you're gonna need it! :bomb:

Hi!

I don't think the gateway thing is an issue at all. With FltOps changing their policy too, none of the fractionals will have home basing, so it's industry standard.

It sucks for me, because I'd like to go to a fractional that had home basing. Currently, none of the fractionals will work for me at all, because of their gateway situation.

I think the only way it hurts them is when potential pilots of theirs go to a regional instead because they can commute.

CLiff
YIP

Hawkered said:
AA717

Yeah, the freight carrier is ASL, or Air Service Leasing. It's still a division of the Swire Group but is actually run on a different certificate. The wage disparity was even worse back in 1999, so I only considered the pax side. As you know, there are no labor laws in Hong Kong and much has changed in the "fragrant harbour".

You're a whole bunch better off here!

Gotcha. Sorry, I've been off my medication today--my posts reflect that... ;)

Lear70--You are absolutely right about the union negotiating for CURRENT members. Let the company figure out if they can hire people without home basing--it's THEIR problem.

Lots of companies have contracts that aren't very attractive to newhires. If they don't like it, they can work elsewhere. Or, go to work there and try to change it.TC

Nightmare67 said:
As far as I know...the info on when you would become eligible for HBA is not out yet.

If you have a friend at NutJets, you might have a chance at an interview and offer prior to ratification...

snip....

Thanks that what I was looking for.

atpcliff said:
I think the only way it hurts them is when potential pilots of theirs go to a regional instead because they can commute.

CLiff
YIP

We are hoping that this issue and the low F/O pay contributes to fewer people wanting to work here. I'm sure it figured into the Union's negotiators plan as well. Management will have to loosen the language and/or pay more to draw the numbers they need if not enough people show up. Unfortunately pilots typically are their own worst enemy and way too many are willing to sell their souls for the chance to fly. It perpetuates low wages for much of this industry. If you could convince the hundreds at MESA and other places to not take a job offer here, you would see Home basing for everyone and high wages for F/O's. Too much weak supply to fill the little demand.

Latest resources

Back