• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NJA TA for new FO's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you don't like the domiciles a company has and/or are unwilling to commute to those domiciles, DON'T APPLY!

Is it that difficult to understand?

Our negotiating group didn't spend our bargaining dollars on this because its not our problem. Its management's problem. When they see that raising the 1st year pay, removing the training contracts and equipment locks was not enough to entice people to come here, they will change the domicile policy.

Its a seniority based system. Get the job, move if you have to, and in a few years, you will have the benefit of the home base airport. You'll be making a good salary with great benefits while being off almost 200 days a year without taking any sick days!

BTW, I believe the company pays moving expenses...I'll have to double check if it applies to newhires.

StarHustler said:
The crew base issue is a big concern to me. I was getting all set to send in my stuff but I live near CLT (with family and owned home) and without that option it becomes a no deal for me to move.

I'm in the same boat as StarHustler. I was hoping to apply soon, and I live in the MSP area (a current gateway). With family in the area, a home we love, and a small business, we cannot relocate. I would be willing to commute, but I can't afford full price tickets. Congrats on your raises - they look quite attractive (along with the work rules & benefits) from where I stand.

Can you commute? I don't know - can NJA'ers jumpseat or write passes on any airlines? (I don't know).

I understand that one knows what they are getting into when they apply, and are offered a job that is set in a particular city. But - with most regionals, this attracts applicants because one can commute.

Terry Hunter said:
Can you commute? I don't know - can NJA'ers jumpseat or write passes on any airlines? (I don't know).

I understand that one knows what they are getting into when they apply, and are offered a job that is set in a particular city. But - with most regionals, this attracts applicants because one can commute.

Do you get to choose your base city?? IfI live in TEB (for example) would I get assigned a different base or can you live in any of the 5 domiciles?

Basically whose choice in domiciles? Yours or theirs? Thanks again.

Commuting to domiciles...I'll do my best to explain what I have read in the TA.

The language in the TA state that the company will designate which domicile and offer it to the newhire. Now, this sounds alittle stupid to me but its their game. I dont see how they would spend the money to have a person flown to CMH for an interview, put up in a hotel then offer a west coast guy TEB as a domicile! But thats how its written now.

As far as commuting, the TA states newhires will "REPORT" to one of five domiciles designated by the company. So, since you will have received your duty brief the day prior to your first day on, It would be easy to plan your commute to be in position at your show time. Keep in mind though, we have a "Show at Home" brief. You will see it during IOE if they dont have an IOE IP for you. This would require you to pay for a hotel since a show at home requires you to be able to leave thirty minutes after they get you a duty assignment.

Hope this helps.

Please Clarify

Could someone please explain this a little more fully? If I start at Netjets in November and want MDW as my gateway, is there anyway this can be taken away from me when the TA is ratified? Also "Home Basing" is only for 30% of the senority list of those people hired before the ratified TA?

Everything else I've seen with the TA looks great. I just want to make sure that if I start now I can have MDW. keep it, and in the future be "Home Based" in a smaller airport. Also how is the home basing defined? I heard something like the has to be at least a few flights before 8am to select bases and a few arriving back at the home base after 10pm or something to that extent.

If you are hired before the ratification date you will be able to use "Home Basing". You will be able to stay on the home basing program forever. (or at least till the next contract)

I believe since it sounds like you have already been offered a job that you will not have to use a domicile, even if you start work after ratification. Could be wrong on that.

Ratification date estimated as Nov 21. When do you start?

The 30% is a figure for down the road. It does not limit participation by existing NJA pilots. It will apply in the future after significant growth has dwindled the existing pilots down to a minority of the workforce at which point the "new guys" will start to have access to home basing.

Nightmare67 said:
Commuting to domiciles...I'll do my best to explain what I have read in the TA.

As far as commuting, the TA states newhires will "REPORT" to one of five domiciles designated by the company. So, since you will have received your duty brief the day prior to your first day on, It would be easy to plan your commute to be in position at your show time. Keep in mind though, we have a "Show at Home" brief. You will see it during IOE if they dont have an IOE IP for you. This would require you to pay for a hotel since a show at home requires you to be able to leave thirty minutes after they get you a duty assignment.

Hope this helps.

Yes, this is a good start, thank you for your response.

This sounds similar to commuting for a regional job, however with a regional, I can use passes for standby travel on a multitude of airlines, and also Jumpseat. Are these options that you have? Because other than moving, the only way one could commute is to buy full fare tickets.

Orbitz, here I come, ahha.

Latest resources

Back