nja pilots vs market wages

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
And the prize goes to....

My wife is a nurse, talk about overworked and underpaid!!! but so many nurses have left the field in disgust that wages have been going up.
Flyingcpa, I have isolated this part of your post because it is the most important, relevant thing you said. What a great analogy for the situation at NJA! Both labor groups have the same problem, and are solving it the same way---by taking a stand. Disgusted people are not quiet--they are very angry and outspoken. It goes back to the old saying that the squeaky wheel gets the oil/grease.

One more quote...."tell me you understand?"....:)

x402 said:
Can we all say 'Flat Tax" and quit wasting billions on CPA's and Attys.

Good one 402! That line always scares the pi$$ outta the CPA's. Then THEY get to wear the coveted orange apron... :D TC

Much as I delight in this academic rag chewing and Classical Liberalism, you have to consider that there are a lot of non-market forces at play here.
Consider 2: the seniority system that keeps pilots from migrating to the highest paying jobs because any move (except perhaps from here) will involve a pay cut that will take several years to recover from.
Then we have the chicanery and outright lies from both parties at the table that assured us that everthing would be set right. Consequently, a lot of people didn't look elsewhere.

Columbus Approach, CATFISH 824 is 'on board' at FL410

x402 said:
Can we all say 'Flat Tax" and quit wasting billions on CPA's and Attys.

Never happen because the politicians and CPAs derive so much power from manipulating the tax code. Nevertheless, it's fun to fantacize about what the market for them would do.

Columbus Approach, CATFISH 824 is 'on board' at FL410

I actually am for a flat tax!!! I would vote for for Mr Forbes in a flash. It would hurt the accounting business. Instead of bitching about it I would find another career. I always come back to the supply and demand. Maybe I would be a therapist for upset pilots, I have a huge headstart on potential customers!!

I will try and answer your question about pilots wanting to make fair wages with regards to supply and demand. First I want to say that I do not fly for NetJets nor would I ever fly for them.

Lets take a look at the issue of supply. The supply of pilots presently looking for a job are on furlough, have lower flight time, and would only take the job until a better job came along. I do not know of one pilot that would work for NetJets as a captain making only $55,000 a year with the experience level of the average captain at NetJets. The few pilots that might take the job would not have the experience level or might only take the job until they can go back to AA.

The demand for quality high time pilots does exist out in the market place. It is lower then it has been in years past but if a NetJets Captain wanted to find a job making a little more money and less work then he or she could. Most pilots at NetJets stay because they believe that with a few adjustments that they can have a great career with NetJets. I think it is great dedication that the pilots are willing to tough it out and stay but if it can't be done then I guess they should start looking elsewhere.

Lets put the pay into perspective.

$55,000 a year.

Working 24 weeks a year.

12 Hour duty days.

2,016 Hours of work each year.

$27.28 Per Hour.

One might not be working all this time but it is time away from the family and you can't sit down and have a beer to watch the game.

I am also not trying to put down any pilots that are having a hard time trying to find a job. I pray that we all will have a great job and the market will turn to create even higher demand for our services.

Fly Safe

work

Far better to get $75,000 per year, work 50 weeks a year, be totally responsible for the aircraft, seeing that maintenance gets done, all trip planning, all restock of aircraft, holidays always away, doing everything required whenever the company schedules the aircraft.

"Far better to get $75,000 per year, work 50 weeks a year, be totally responsible for the aircraft, seeing that maintenance gets done, all trip planning, all restock of aircraft, holidays always away, doing everything required whenever the company schedules the aircraft."

Publishers, you really are clueless.

corporate

There are a bunch of pilots who do exactly what I said and are happy to have the job. You point out how clueless I am but I have been deeply involved in many of these companies, understand the economics and differences, and have served as a consultant to many management and pilot groups.

You want the fixed days off, the outbases, the services of operations, and you trade those quality of life issues for money to some extent.

The average corporate or 135 pilot might like to have those problems when he has a beeper and has to be able to be wheels up in an hour.

Latest resources

Back