NJA/NJI Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
hydrarkt said:
I've talked to some NJI pilots since the TA. It seems that the older pilots and the ones that have been there the longest are the most afraid. The newer pilots seem to be "listening intently." The same "A team" situation exists at NJI that existed at NJA and probably exists at the other frax. The "A team" pilots don't want to see their gravy train end. I believe that the newer pilots see things like defined duty and rest rules, specific pay, disciplinary representation through the grievance process and are thinking about it.
Over the next 3 years, the pilots of NJI will have a huge say in what happens to them if and when we do become a single carrier. If the majority resist assimilation, I mean integration, the "ratio" of integration will be a lot less tasty. On the other hand, if the majority decide to embrace 1108, the "ratio" could be very tasty. Not a threat, just reality.

Nice post, but the reality is quite different. I have been at NJI for 5 years, and the count of pro-union pilots stands at approximately 3. If I missed one, then the count would be 4. And the anti-union pilots are vehement about their view!

G4dude said:
Nice post, but the reality is quite different. I have been at NJI for 5 years, and the count of pro-union pilots stands at approximately 3. If I missed one, then the count would be 4. And the anti-union pilots are vehement about their view!

Don't be so sure about that, talking with my NJI friends who are Capt.s, they said that if they don't get raises that are equal or better than class 4, then they said that a union might form at NJI also, they stated that it would not be fair for an NJA pilot to come over as a capt. and make more as a year 1 capt. than what most guys there don't make as 5th year capt.s, I guess you guys will see if Santuli lives by his word

ex-nutjeter said:
Don't be so sure about that, talking with my NJI friends who are Capt.s, they said that if they don't get raises that are equal or better than class 4, then they said that a union might form at NJI also, they stated that it would not be fair for an NJA pilot to come over as a capt. and make more as a year 1 capt. than what most guys there don't make as 5th year capt.s, I guess you guys will see if Santuli lives by his word

Fair or not it has already happened in the aviation industry. Jets 4 Jobs at US Airways. UAL had a similar program with Mesa flying the 70 seat RJs. Mainline pilots furloughed came over and flew as captain on the commuter airlines RJs for different pay than the regional pilots could get at their own airline.

P.S. Santulli has no word.

FLYLOW22 said:
Fair or not it has already happened in the aviation industry. Jets 4 Jobs at US Airways. UAL had a similar program with Mesa flying the 70 seat RJs. Mainline pilots furloughed came over and flew as captain on the commuter airlines RJs for different pay than the regional pilots could get at their own airline.

P.S. Santulli has no word.

Not really the same thing, NJA and NJI are owned by the same parent, UAL and Mesa, etc. were not, plus NJA has G rates and no g aircraft, hence the Class 4 rates, it would make no sense to pay one pilot one rate and another much less flying the same equipment, that would bring out some problems down the line, even when you look at the LOA, it states that NJA will be paid either class 4 or the average if NJI has a higher rate, my guess is that NJI will match the Class 4 rates, or they can and will have a bunch of pissed off pilots flying for them

FLYLOW22 said:

And so that makes it 'right' in your eyes? Another perfect example of our self centered society.

Come on man... everybody's doing it

wolfpackpilot said:
And so that makes it 'right' in your eyes? Another perfect example of our self centered society.

Come on man... everybody's doing it

No. I made no ascertian pro or con. You did. I merely stated an example of an industry president that had been set prior. Not idential but close enough.

Parent company or no, the point was drawing similarities between two pilot groups doing the same flying within other pilot groups represented by Unions under the RLA.

No more, no less. Just making the point that the NJI//NJA situation is not that special.

Latest resources

Back