NJA at last!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

VVJM265

Well I finally “closed the deal” yesterday! After a long, and expensive, summer interviewing with CX & SWA, I ended up at my first choice anyway. :) NJA, H400, Mar 5th, CMH.

I was mildly disappointed, however, that I’d have to wait until July for the DAL domicile. Instead, I opted for the earlier class date and the longer commute. I figured I’d take the extra 150 or so seniority numbers and the extra 4 months of pay and try to bid or swap back to DAL once on board. I’m willing to bite the bullet and make it work to get onboard sooner.

The process has changed and they are doing the background checks first before making the offers. It would also appear that a bit of a pool is developing. My advice to those just starting the process is to take an earlier interview if offered.

For those interested, this will have been a 14-month sequence for me – I first sent the resume in at the end of Jan! :eek: The application was accepted mid Mar, but then put in the “penalty box” (as I call holding) because they closed DAL over the summer. That didn’t really matter then since I can’t start terminal leave from the Navy until Jan at the earliest. Ironically, Derinda emailed me for a late Sep interview on the same day I interviewed with SWA. I delayed that because it was for Oct & Nov class dates. That was about the time they changed the hiring process. “Could’a, should’a, would’a…” taken that interview and I might have been able to get DAL in Mar. Hopefully, someone will benefit from my experience.

The other thing to offer is this – make sure that NJA is really where you want to be. When I look back at the CX and SWA interviews, the only thing I can pinpoint is that perhaps a lack of enthusiasm came thru; just the opposite was true at the NJA interview. I’ve always been more interested in NJA due to the type of flying and the fact that there is no retirement age. For me, I truly think that it will be a more interesting and satisfying professional experience. Only time will tell I suppose; for now, I can’t wait to start!

Best of luck to those still interviewing & Happy New Year all!
VVJM265
:beer:

Congrats, it has been a long, drawn out process for you! I am on the 400XP, let me know if you need anything.

Congrats. I started the waiting back when you did, in Jan. I was able to take the Sept. interview with the Oct. class on the XL. It's been great. I finished sim on Nov. 20 and haven't done anything else. Some of my classmates are in CMH right now doing their aircraft training.

Everyday is better and better with this company every day. I was originally scheduled to be in CMH right now as well. But my 5 year old daughter had some minor surgery scheduled for this past Tuesday. When I called the CP about it, the only thing he asked was how long would I like off. I asked for a few days and he said no problem. When I look at my schedule on the website it says "excused day off with pay". With pay... Just one more thing that makes me know I made the right decision.

Welcome aboard.

Way to go VVJM!! I knew you had it in the bag!

Don't be too upset about the CMH basing. By the time you complete indoc, type rating course, and the wait for IOE, you should just about be ready to switch back your domicile to DAL.

I don't know how long the wait is for IOE on the 400XP, but if it's anything even remotely close to the X, you will be getting a lot of "report from home" messages on your Blackberry. Hopefully your first 7 day trip will be departing from DAL by then. Good luck.

Arch

Congrats!

Welcome onboard! I like my coffee black. I don't preflight in the rain, snow, dark, heat, when it's too sunny, when I'm too tired, after I eat, before I eat, or too early.

fischman - on the 400, the Captain has to get the coffee for the FO, it's on the right side!

VVJM - welcome aboard!

Latest resources

Back