NJA and BBJ Long Term

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Capt. Haddock said:
What about flying BBJs for others besides NJA? There are more than 80 BBJs out there and most of them are on US N- register or "US based" offshore registers accepting/requiring FAA pilots.

My sense is that most of the really good BBJ jobs are taken by experienced corporate personnel as opposed to ex airline types. For what ever reason, BBJ jobs do not seem to command the $$ that are typically associated with GV and GEX positions. I'm sure there are exceptions, but the few job openings that I have been exposed to are not very desirable compared to the other high end iron that is flying around.

hydrarkt said:
The BBJ is an oddity at NJA. That plan didn't really work. There may be a market for the BBJ but not sure about as a fractional.
How are we making money? Well, I just got an email from managment that stated that over two days, Dec. 26 and 27 we flew almost 1200 revenue legs. Seems like a money maker to me.

Right, and sold off several hundred more.

I highly doubt any future new hire will ever make it to the BBJ. 2 BBJ FOs just bid out of the BBJ on the last round of PIC awards. I'd expect the other handful of FOs to do the same since FO pay in the BBJ is so much less than Captain pay in any other aircraft. The only reason they wouldn't bid out is if they are holding out for a BBJ PIC posting and don't want to be seat locked when that happens.
I'm curious to see what will happen to fill the 2 BBJ FO spots that just opened up. With the loss of one aircraft, they might not fill them.

even operating only three planes now (2 domestic, 1 jakarta) we're still short on pilots. just think - every pilot in the bbj gets 4 weeks vacation, plus recurrents. then, you have 3 pilots in indonesia who get a month off when they get back, and when they come home another set of 3 goes down there - so right there we're short 6 pilots.

and fly for someone on the side? you're crazy. i need my 7 off! the limited used to use a couple of our guys as fill-in but they only paid 1k/day - much easier to work extend days on our own fleet.

Latest resources

Back