Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AvroJockey

Go Pack Go!
I was wondering what you guys used for expense tracking.

Anyone use software for the Blackberry or iPhone?

Also I've seen some programs for the iPhone a couple of which let you take pictures of any receipts. Anyone have experience with these, and if so, how well does it work with the expense tracking system at NJ?

thanks!

I was wondering what you guys used for expense tracking.

We have an internal system that communicates directly with our accounting folks. It can be done online with any computer web browser. It's usable (though not perfect) on the iPhone's internal browser, but not with the Blackberry.

Also I've seen some programs for the iPhone a couple of which let you take pictures of any receipts. Anyone have experience with these, and if so, how well does it work with the expense tracking system at NJ?
It wouldn't. :)

Basically, our system involves clicking "New Expense," clicking the category (tip, taxi, supplies, or whatever), and then typing in the city and amount. It's very simple, but a little tedious.

Receipts are mailed in later, attached to a cover sheet the system prints with a report number (barcode) on it. That's it. Recording it on one system, then transcribing it to another, would just be duplicating effort. I usually just do it in the FBOs during breaks as the week goes along, and that works well for me.

I'm not familiar with the system, but from what you're saying it seems to be easier to do the as you go through the day. Rather than track them and do everything at the end of the tour.

Seems like entering them in a separate application would certainly be redundant.

You have to wait until the credit card charges are posted before you can code them on Concur. That can sometimes take as much as 10 days to two weeks, particularly if the charge was made out of the country. The day before day one of the next tour, I see if all the charges are in, enter the correct coding, throw in tips and cash outlays, print, submit, mail. Whole thing takes about 30 minutes.

the nja electronic expense report

The problem with the whole thing, as gutshot sez, It may take you up to two weeks to submit or finish the entire report.

Whereas using the old sys, I was done in a half hour sitting in the airport waiting for my plane home on my last day.......

Some progress, chalk that one up for mgmt on the IBB contract.

The problem with the whole thing, as gutshot sez, It may take you up to two weeks to submit or finish the entire report.

There are two ways we can do our reports: You can either wait for all the credit charges to clear and do a single report, or you can do all the cash transactions in one report, and do the credit report later, once the charges have all cleared.

I usually do my cash report during the week (and do the entry for the last day's per-diem and submit the report while waiting for a ride back to my car at the end of the tour); it takes just a minute. I'll do my credit report from the previous tour while waiting for my airline out on the next tour. Works great, and I don't touch the stuff on my off days.

Some progress, chalk that one up for mgmt on the IBB contract.
There was nothing in the previous contract preventing the company from using this expense reporting system for everything. (Frankly, I find the Concur system to be faster and easier than paper, and I get my reimbursement much faster this way, but I know a few guys think it's the most complicated, tedious thing they've ever seen.)

The only difference in the new contract is the requirement to use their credit card, which I agree was a tradeoff for the things we got out of it.

We started using Concur several years ago and there was the usual resistance from some quarters, including from me. That was largely a product of the experience with the DISASTEROUS predecessor, an abortion called NavigatER. But after a couple of years of experience, and lots of improvements, Concur really isn't bad.

Just wondering why Netjets has the crews pay for everything on personal (though corporate) credit card, submit expense reports, and then get reimbursed. I assume NJ has an Accounts Payable department that does direct billing with everyone.

The only thing I can think of is because of the flexibility that's required of the crews, and you don't know where you're going to stay any given night. However, it still seems as though NJ would just pay the credit card bill...This is how it was done at the 135 outfit I flew for long ago.

They do pay the bill. We never see the actual bill. What we do is submit the receipts that match the charges so the accountants and govt stay happy. We do, however, get the points.

Yeah, GE Capital Gains points. The most they'll pay for a ticket now is $400. And to book a flight, you have to slog through 18 menus before you get to a human being. "If you would like to book a flight, press 1. You have pressed 1. If this is correct, press 1 now. Are you sure you want to book a flight? If so, press 1 now." They are barely worth the trouble.

Latest resources

Back