Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NJ guys - which airplane would pick as a new hire?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks for the comments so far, let me narrow it done a bit. I'm currently typed and I'm flying the CE-560XL . If the choices were:

CE-750
CE-680
CE-560XL

What do you think is the best choice and why? Thanks for the advice in advance.

The Citation X and XL/XLS fleets are the biggest at Netjets so you would expect to fly a lot on both fleets. The X will do a lot of transcons - perhaps more than one every tour. The XL/XLS, as you know, is capable of a lot of shorter trips and it is a very busy fleet as a result. The Sovereign can easily do transcons as well but I have heard they don't do the same volume of transcons as the X fleet - but that could change as more Sovereigns are added.

Everyone knows that the Sovereign has huge baggage space as well and the owners know that. Be ready to load some bags (or tip the linepeople well) for that aircraft.

If I were you and if flying transcons were not such a big deal, I'd try something different and fly either the X or the Sovereign. Again, if you don't mind sitting for 5-6 hours straight (not everyone can do that) a few times per tour, flying high and fast in the X would make things a bit more interesting. Plus, you might get a few Hawaii and international trips out of the X if you are lucky. I'd go for the X or the Sovereign if offered since you already have experience on the XL.

...if you don't mind sitting for 5-6 hours straight a few times per tour, flying high and fast in the X would make things a bit more interesting.
You mean 4-5 hour transcons. OK, maybe 6 westbound in the winter.

PS....The X doesn't work as hard as everyone thinks.

Thanks for the comments so far, let me narrow it done a bit. I'm currently typed and I'm flying the CE-560XL . If the choices were:

CE-750
CE-680
CE-560XL

What do you think is the best choice and why? Thanks for the advice in advance.

If it is any help to you, I have been at NJA for 2+ years on the 400xp. It looks like it will be at least another 1-1.5 years best case scenario for upgrade. I am very seriously contemplating bidding into the X just for a change of scenery and the opportunity to fly a "sexy" airplane instead of a turd! I have weighed the pros and cons of going to the 560xl, 680, and the 750. With my knowledge of the company, the composition of the pilots in each fleet, and the mission of each listed airplane, I think the X is by far the best choice.

I guess it would sort of help if you told us what kind of flying you would like to do.

You mean 4-5 hour transcons. OK, maybe 6 westbound in the winter.

PS....The X doesn't work as hard as everyone thinks.

I wondered about that. I really thought I might like the X until everyone started bitching about how much "work" was involved. Glad to hear another take on it.

I just finished up the interview process a few hours ago and I can say it was a great experience. Great company you guys have here. Now the waiting starts.

They told us they are hiring into the X, Sov, Excel, and maybe the G-200 but that they had to offer airplanes to current SICs first and that they were taking the slots. So we'll see.

Which airplane would pick as a new hire? What are your reasons?

DA-2000
G-200
CE-750
CE-680
CE-560XL
Hawker 800xp

They don't hire into the DA-2000 as it's over the 40K lb mark. I may be wrong but I don't think so...I just got hired and heard the whole presentation. We were all told to think XL, X, and G-200, but weren't offered the G200 when we actually got the call. I'm glad to hear that there is an opinion of the X other than that it works you to the bone....thats what I took...

The regular 2000 comes in under the 40K mark but we have a number of FOs on property with bids for an FO position on the plane. With longer upgrade times and the new contract removing the upgrade restriction when changing fleets I think you'll see more and more FOs bidding to different, larger planes as FOs.

I wondered about that. I really thought I might like the X until everyone started bitching about how much "work" was involved. Glad to hear another take on it.

I just finished up the interview process a few hours ago and I can say it was a great experience. Great company you guys have here. Now the waiting starts.

They told us they are hiring into the X, Sov, Excel, and maybe the G-200 but that they had to offer airplanes to current SICs first and that they were taking the slots. So we'll see.

When I interviewed, they told us they were hiring into certain planes. When Linda called, she had different planes to offer and two class dates (also later than what was suggested at the interview).

If those were my choices, I would go with the G-200 or the XL, then X, and finally Sov. I fly the ten now, and when my seat lock is up in a year, I'll probably bid out of the X. I am not a fan of long legs in an uncomfortable cockpit. For what ever reason, I have been doing more coast to coast trips, 3 or 4 on a 5 day tour. Remember that your seat lock will be 39 months. Good luck.

FWIW, 3 sets of interviews of 12 persons each week is what I heard today from training. Hiring about 50% of those interviewed.

Can you clarify how the contract works for transition/upgrade? 39 mth seatlock for fo's...so I thought I heard there is a way to go laterally fo to fo before the 39 months is up...for example you have 10 months left in current lock, go to another fo spot so then you have 49 months on that plane....so the removed upgrade restriction WITHIN FLEET...so that means that you can upgrade whenever it get awarded...as long as you go to a different fleet?

Also in terms of upgrade....when I flew 121 I was way to junior to hold cap...but everyone said bid it anyway, maybe you'll get lucky...same here?

Which airplane would pick as a new hire? What are your reasons?

DA-2000
G-200
CE-750
CE-680
CE-560XL
Hawker 800xp

I would place them in the following order:

1) DA-2000 The Falcon is a great airplane. I've always said that you know a company has done it right when a jet doesn't need a stick shaker or a stick pusher. The job of the FO on the Falcon is to copy down the ATIS, receive a clearance, and load the FMS box. Anything more than that is voluntary.

2) G-200 The G-200 is a great airplane with a lot of room to move around. It also does some nice international trips as well as Hawaii trips. Now some are going to say that it's only the A-Team that does these trips but that's not the case at all and it's actually going to get even better in the near future. It's the CP's plan to have everybody checked out by going through an online class and/or DVD training. The G-200 has a longer range than the Falcon (classic model) so it's been doing a lot more international stuff lately.

3) Hawker 800XP It's a great airplane that does a little of everything. Since you're VERY limited when it comes to amount of baggage that you can take, you'll never have to worry about loading two SUV's full of crap into a cramped baggage compartment. It's a great type rating to have as well since there's a Hawker at just about every airport in the country.

4) CE-750 The X has been known for working the hardest for a few years now but that's changed over the last year. If you look at the reports, the CE-680 has taken over that roll. You'll do a lot of coast-to-coasts in the X but you normally do one and a ferry leg and you're done for the day. It's also a great type rating to have if you're ever interested in doing side-work.

5) CE-560XL Just like the X, it's been known to be a workhorse but like I said before, the 680 is taking the lead. It's an easy airplane to fly and you may do a handful of coast-to-coasts a year. It rates number 5 on my list because of its size. You're getting into the smaller cabin size now and things start to get a bit cramped.

6) CE-680 This one rates last on my list for more than one reason. First, it's the busiest airplane out of all the fleets we have. You have to deal with the typical Cessna seats for long days. The airplane out performs just about any other airplane we have which means you'll be the one going into all of the small non towered airports. It's also known for being able to takeoff out of a small 4000 foot strip in Miami and going nonstop to LAX. That's a ********************ty day in a cramped cockpit!!!

Latest resources

Back