• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Nimbus

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think this order was on the books a few months back. As you can tell by my avatar, I like the Eclipse Jets.

It will be interesting to see how these "compact" jets influence the air transportaion industry in the private and commercial capacities.

aero99 said:
It will be interesting to see how these "compact" jets influence the air transportaion industry in the private and commercial capacities.

For one thing, I think if Air Traffic Control wasn't quite at its limit already, these things will really push it over the edge when flying into already over-stressed airports.

These sound like they will revolutionize business travel, and if this plan is truly used to the extent it can be, it can make some of the traffic problems (already in existance) even worse.

Ali

"For one thing, I think if Air Traffic Control wasn't quite at its limit already, these things will really push it over the edge when flying into already over-stressed airports. "

It is and it has been for a long time. So what. They will always say this. Do you say this everytime a new GA aircraft comes up with new aircraft? From what I have read, Eclipse is marketing it to the GA and Commerical communities. One benefit, they say, is easier access to smaller airports than the larger jets, thus having better "direct access" to smaller runways and more area. In a way, that could reduce airport traffic at the bigger hubs if the aircraft can put the customer closer to where they want to be -which would more than likely be away from the busy hubs.

IMHO, this is the same thought process (although for business needs) that started the regional carriers. This is just taking it to another level that applies to a different customer.

I think they will be fairly successful as an aircraft manufacture in the GA or Commercial Market for many different uses.

I agree with you. I think this will be an extremely sucessful opportunity for the business community.

Do you say this everytime a new GA aircraft comes up with new aircraft? From what I have read, Eclipse is marketing it to the GA and Commerical communities.

No, I do not say this everytime a new GA aircraft comes up. I am not saying that these are bad, I am just saying that more smaller (its all relative) airplanes centralized in any given location will change the flow of traffic. As this "taxi" cab idea b/c more popular and more businesses decide to jump on the flying bandwagon our hubs will not only be bustin' at the seems with the airliners, but also with these.

One benefit, they say, is easier access to smaller airports than the larger jets, thus having better "direct access" to smaller runways and more area.. In a way, that could reduce airport traffic at the bigger hubs if the aircraft can put the customer closer to where they want to be -which would more than likely be away from the busy hubs.

This would be an amazing stride for the industry. I think it will be a great deal of time before these can be numerous enough to reduce traffic at the hubs, but I do agree that the access to smaller airports will work to their benefit.
One benefit, they say, is easier access to smaller airports than the larger jets, thus having better "direct access" to smaller runways and more area.. In a way, that could reduce airport traffic at the bigger hubs if the aircraft can put the customer closer to where they want to be -which would more than likely be away from the busy hubs.

Ali
who is, for the most part AGREEING with you :) :) :)

Who exactly is "Nimbus"? Why would a company front 1.2 BILLION dollars to a company which has never built an airplane and has not yet built a prototype. Is Nimbus in reality a front for the same folks as Eclipse, which exists solely to pump cash into Eclipse? What are you going to do with a thousand jets?
Isn't the Eclipse going to be certificated under Part 23 rather than Part 25? Can you operate a Part 23 turbojet on a 135 certificate? Why are does thier website have "articles" with datelines sometime in the future?

Eclipse is pretty good at press releases and putting together slick displays at airshows, but so far thay haven't shown that they're good at building and flying airplanes.

Hey, I'd like to see them suceed, but right now it kinda smells like a scam to me.

I think if Nimbus can put their funding together they could revolutionize business travel.
Aviation Internatioal News (AIN) had an article this month that was questioning their (Nimbus') funding of their $1 Billion order.
Either way I think Eclipse will be a success.
I wish I had $15 million bucks so I could start my own air taxi service. I wish I had $15 bucks so I could buy a pizza during the b-ball games today.

Alimaui,
I think you are on the right track, but just to throw my 2 cents in: I don't think increasing private jet travel will increase ATC congestion much, especially at airline hubs. The whole idea of a personal jet is that you don't have to travel to or from the major airline hubs. Additionally, airline hubs are generally only busy in spurts, due to hub and spoke operations. Private jets, due to their irregular schedules would, in my opinion, serve to decentralize air travel and reduce ATC congestion. Throw in "free flight", or point to point travel and the system should become much more efficient (soon hopefully)!!

Great article citation....

I didn't know about the ownerships between Nimbus and Eclipse. When I saw the first press about the 1000 jet order from Nimbus (who is Nimbus?) I wondered if it would actually solidify.

Only time will tell....and if Nimbus doesn't buy I bet someone will.

Who knows, maybe even a major will bite.......yeah right....

The Learjet 23 received it's type certificate under CAR 3, not 14 CFR 23. It isn't used extensively in Part 135 operations, as there are only a few 23's left flying. (There happens to be one sitting in the hangar with me).

I'll be deeply shocked if this nimbus hot air goes anywhere beyond collecting investment money.

Latest resources

Back