Nightly News Tonight Dont Miss IT!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

superrav

Regionals Airlines on NBC Nightly News with Tom Brokaw...Show has already started..just thought I'd let the guys know that did see my post yesterday..

superrav said:
Regionals Airlines on NBC Nightly News with Tom Brokaw...Show has already started..just thought I'd let the guys know that did see my post yesterday..
I must have missed it.... :( Can you tell me what they said please? :)

It talked about stuff we already know..RJ usage rising. It had interviews with a few passengers and Eagle's president.
It mentioned that they are cheaper to operate and "most importantly the pilots are paid wayyyy less".
Most important to who?? Not me! :eek:

There was nothing said that we haven't heard before... the only surprise was the Eagle bigwig that didn't sound like he knew what to say.

"Uhh, the planes are... less expensive to buy, uhm, less expensive to operate..."

After reading this board for over a year I finally must post a question to the group.

How in the world is it cheaper to operate 11 RJ's instead of 4 larger aircraft?

Did I not hear the entire report?

I though it was funny. And, the reporter stressed that pilots at the regionals make a lot less than pilots at the Majors. The planes are cheaper? Tell that to Mesa--they are supposedly getting used 737-300s for around $3 million per plane--versus $21 million for a new RJ. And the AA Eagle President really loves the economics--especially those low salaries for pilots. Get used to it--especially if the RJDC has it's way!!

Bye Bye---General Lee:rolleyes:

All-in-all, it was a pretty dopey, 3 minute long 'fluff' piece at the end of the news, that was being used all through the news as a 'tease', to keep people from switching the channel. The segment was a worthless POS

FLJayhawk said:
How in the world is it cheaper to operate 11 RJ's instead of 4 larger aircraft? Did I not hear the entire report?

I would imagine that if you took the crew cost of 11 RJ flights vs. 4 mainline flights, that alone would make up most of the difference.

RJ crew per hour ~ $100 for capt, fo and fa based on their hourly rate.

Mainline crew per hour ~ $330 for capt, fo and min of 3 flight attendants.

330 x 4 = $1320 for 4 flights on mainline
vs.
100 x 11 - $1100 for 11 flights on a RJ

There's way more to it than that but in its simplest terms it's mostly about the crew costs.

Last edited:
If there were 4 AA MD-80s a day with 140 seats each, that would equal 560 seats. Some of those would be first class seats--and some would actually be paid for, with the others as upgrades. The 11 E135s have 37 seats (?), and that would equal 407 seats a day. I think the 4 MD80s--if full would produce enough revenue to offset the $220 difference in crew costs, and could also carry most of the luggage (compared to the E135s), and probably carry some cargo---with happy people upgrading to first........

Bye Bye--General Lee:rolleyes:

Some of those would be first class seats--and some would actually be paid for, with the others as upgrades.

I really don't think people pay for domestic first class anymore unless it's JFK-LAX or similar. For a 1-2 hour flight... what's the point? You get a couple extra drinks and a little larger seat... not worth $500+ IMO.

I think most first class seats are paid for by FFs buying higher priced coach seats with better upgrade eligibility than the $79 fares.

Latest resources

Back