• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Nightline story on regional pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So when Delta changes its regional bases every other week and I am forced to commute until I can hold a different aircraft, I should just quit and start over at a different regional until a major hires me? What if no regionals have a junior base where I live? Should I sell my house and move every other week I get displaced because Delta messed with my base? Oh wait, I can't sell my house because I refied at the top of the market to help pay for school. Oh, and my Wife has a good job where we live. Commuting is a part of this profession because of the way seniority works and the way management is constantly changing fleets and bases.

Exactly what he said.

It's only is that way if you think it is, click off the autopilot sometime and you'll feel much better. Besides, I've never known a bus to plummet 20000 feet to it's demise if the engines quit.

I think he meant in terms of pay and benefits, not the job itself.

I have been in 9 bases in 4 years. I have finally left the company to move on but when you keep getting moved for staffing reasons you cant move the whole family again and again. You have to set up a home base of operations and then go from there

So when Delta changes its regional bases every other week and I am forced to commute until I can hold a different aircraft, I should just quit and start over at a different regional until a major hires me? What if no regionals have a junior base where I live? Should I sell my house and move every other week I get displaced because Delta messed with my base? Oh wait, I can't sell my house because I refied at the top of the market to help pay for school. Oh, and my Wife has a good job where we live. Commuting is a part of this profession because of the way seniority works and the way management is constantly changing fleets and bases.

Obviously you can afford a hotel or crashpad. Im talking about the pilots running to the media whining they can't afford it and is expecting the public to be outraged. Law of unintended consequences. If pilots keep this up Congress is going to have another kneejerk reaction and pass some law to ban commuting. Then we'll all really be in some ish.....

If pilots keep this up Congress is going to have another kneejerk reaction and pass some law to ban commuting. Then we'll all really be in some ish.....

In order for that to happen there would have to be definite proof that there is a true correlation between fatigue and commuting. Do you honestly think that they will ever come to that conclusion? The last 3 fatal crashes have officially been because of pilot error.

And even if they ever do come to the conclusion, do you think that the company/congress will make everyone move creating mass shortages of pilots or will the company just pay that extra day of hotel? Imagine your company paying an extra day of hotel to bring you in rested, what a concept!

1. Journalist are basically stupid on most subjects they relate to the public. They're just passing on words from so-called experts.

2. The trend is to always blame the pilot. "It's not the regulations or airline policies that led to the fatigue. It is the pilots who should have decided not to fly when they were tired." Of course the NTSB and media don't hear the other half of the equation. "You're not THAT tired, ARE YOU?!?!?!"

3. Home-basing would take care of this entire argument.

Nothing will change. Nobody put a gun to any of our heads and said go to the regionals. Commuting is a choice. If you can't afford a hotel or crashpad at your base move or quit. If you quit there is a LONG line of replacements standing outside.....

You have probably never commuted a day in your life! Unlike the complete loser you probably are, some people actually get chicks and end up having a family. Families can't just pull their kids out of school and move every six months because a company decides to open or close a base! I bet you are a joy to fly with? BTW, how long is your No-Fly list???:smash:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back