• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Nightline story on regional pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
On a more serious note: Take a close look at the guy curled up on the crew room couch. Did I see cowboy boots poking out from under the blanket???

Who's doing the story about planes that land on taxiways, and crosswind TO's outta den? Glad major airline pilots don't get fatigued...

Nothing will change. Nobody put a gun to any of our heads and said go to the regionals. Commuting is a choice. If you can't afford a hotel or crashpad at your base move or quit. If you quit there is a LONG line of replacements standing outside.....

Nothing will change. Nobody put a gun to any of our heads and said go to the regionals. Commuting is a choice. If you can't afford a hotel or crashpad at your base move or quit. If you quit there is a LONG line of replacements standing outside.....

Typical management BS. And the line isn't that LONG anymore. Word is out, being an airline pilot is a notch above bus driving.

Typical management BS. And the line isn't that LONG anymore. Word is out, being an airline pilot is a notch above bus driving.

It's only is that way if you think it is, click off the autopilot sometime and you'll feel much better. Besides, I've never known a bus to plummet 20000 feet to it's demise if the engines quit.

So when Delta changes its regional bases every other week and I am forced to commute until I can hold a different aircraft, I should just quit and start over at a different regional until a major hires me? What if no regionals have a junior base where I live? Should I sell my house and move every other week I get displaced because Delta messed with my base? Oh wait, I can't sell my house because I refied at the top of the market to help pay for school. Oh, and my Wife has a good job where we live. Commuting is a part of this profession because of the way seniority works and the way management is constantly changing fleets and bases.

Exactly. Base structures at the regionals blow. They are rarely stable. And even if they are, god help you if you're junior. Especially if the airline starts shrinking....

I've been a good boy and managed to get by in NYC for 4 years. All i've got to show for it is being well rested and completely broke. Course the powers that be back in HQ have wanted to close this base for a year and half, and now i'm constantly stressed out... We have pilots that have seen 10 base closures and been forced moved 6-7 times in 15-20 years!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back