• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Nigeria

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Abuja is much nicer then Lagos, traffic problems are eased at it was a pre planned city and that is why they moved the capital from Lagos. I didn't like it at all. Let me put it this way, I was flying Kana West and they almost had to cancel a concert, his travel guy said they wanted to be airborne before they broke the news for safety.

We go to Lagos off and on, ATC there is abhorrent.

Be careful...this may be one of those Nigerian guys that wants you to open a bank account and put money in it so he can share the $10,000,000 he won with you! :D

He keeps sending me emails.......

I flew into Lagos on and off a couple of years ago.

Did not bribe the right people and had to wait for fuel up to 8 hours.
Only safe hotel in town was the Sheraton, guards needed for the van-ride.

Pretty lawless, be careful.

Re:Looking for work in Nigeria

My Friend
As an "American" Living and working there on "Similar" type rotation, my advise is....
If you are going there because you are desperate Forget about it. Go there because you want too, and the remuneration package is what you are happy with.
Abuja is a Big step up from Lagos, more orderly and quiet.
I am a consultant working for one of the oldest aviation companies in Africa, i can tell you there are many frustrations in Africa and Nigeria is no exception. But if you are not of the frame of mine where you can be happy, open and use "common sense' Africa is not the place for you. remember this is Africa not America or Europe!
ARIK Air is Littered with many Desperate "Americans" layed off form majors or those who have left low paying regional s looking for some "greener pastures" in Nigeria.
But they bring there baggage with them and try to do things their way. The result is they just frustrate them selves into Paranoia.And nothing changes.
So do some research and talk to folks who have been there for a while, i.e 5 or 10 years,
( not the one or two year transient!). And go to the interview and talk to these talk to these folks and see for your self. And you will find that they are not what some have tried to characteristic them as. They are very intelligent, business oriented and accepting people.
I have been there for over almost 5 years, and can say i am pretty happy,( it is not Utopia)and will retire from there. (If God will) be open and smile, and you will surprised.

All the best
George B.

My $.02. IF you're unemployed, at least go for the interview. You'd be surprised how many foreigners are working in Nigeria. I'm working in the 3rd world right now. Its definately an acquired taste, no doubt, but keep your expectations low as well as your profile and you'll do fine.

I interviewd for a Nigerian flight job a few months back. Most people were negative about the place but I managed to find a few who convinced me it's not the end of the world. Put in your time, save a few bucks, something better will come along once all these CEOs realize they HAVE TO TRAVEL IN A BIZJET. There's just no way around that fact in today's day and age.

Be careful, Bro. I did quite a bit of Africa flying in my previous life, and I'm here to tell you Nigeria is a toilet. Very lawless and very dangerous. Good luck.

Latest resources

Back