Nigeria

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PA-44Typed

Anyone fly or work in Nigeria, I’m unemployed and starting to get desperate. I have been contracted to fly for an oil guy there. Good $$ and paid to and from on a 2 month on 1 month off kind of deal. Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? Thanks

Nigeria or any part of western Africa can be iffy at best. I fly alot into this area and would not want to live there on the econmy for any length of time.

Nigeria is strictly third world and if you have no experience in that kind of place, you may have some problems. If you have problems, there will be no one to come help. Your success there depends on your ability to adapt and survive plus live to a totally different way of life. They speak English, they understand almost none of it, and if they are telling you it, they are lieing.
You need to get paid in US dollars in the US before you work. Their currency is worth nothing outside of the country and for you to get money out is not easy either.
In short, if you have no military background, no experience in places like this, stay home.

I Would be living on a compound with security and guards to/from the airport. Flying in and out of Abuja, Flying the “big man” of one of the oil companies. Good $$ and business class to/from USA for the 2 on 1 off rotation. I am going to interview in the next week here in the US and see what they have to offer.

check out:

www.pprune.org

Go to the African forum. There is a lot there.

I have operated and overnighted there so I would not be able to tell you much about living in country...but I can tell you that Lagos is v. sketchy.

I hear Abuja is slightly better. There are guys there doing it so it is doable if you have nothing else going on.

I would do it if i had to ...as long as it was armed guard from Sheraton to airport and back.

Whatever you do MAKE SURE all the little details are covered, housing, security, per diem, security, commuting ticket, security, time off, security...i think you get the picture...

goof luck and remember...when flying in Africa...bring a sense of humor.

fv

Last edited:
what type of plane? That kind of says it all.

My point sort of was --living in a security compound with guards to and from -- well that says it. If you fit that kind of thing, go for it. I went though 3 Tech Reps there but the fourth liked it, his US money went far, he lived well and had the knack to get along with the locals. The pilots we took did not last three months.

The fact that you will be in a compound "with security" says something. I'm in the same boat though, furloughed and getting desper-otto. What the f*ck is wrong with this industry?

Latest resources

Back